Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hodgdon's success web page
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
30winnie, I got my success story put on a couple years ago, guess it took a month or something like that, J

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
300winnie if you dont mind me asking, what was your load recipe with that Accubond? I am currently deployed (USAF, should be back in spring) but when I get back I will be trying some loads with the 200grainer. My 300 is in a Ruger #1. The B.C. of that 200gr really has me thinking. But ya I was curious what your load was?

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiplash,

Not to be an arse, but the typical prelude of every gun is a law unto itself yada yada yada.

Anyway here is the load.

W-W Brass fireformed/Neck sized (Lee Collet neck sizer)
Federal 215M Primer
80 grains of H1000
Nosler Accubond 200 grain
Comparator length of 3.960"
Equates to a C.O.L of around 3.600 (Don't have the exact measurement on me)

Chronographed 10 shots when the weather was hovering around 70 degrees. Average of the 10 shots was 3038 fps. All ten shots fell in 1.1"

Gun is a Browning Stainless Stalker - 26" tube.

I am in process of refining a load using Retumbo as we speak. I shot a three shot group the other day with 83.0 grains that was under an inch so I have loaded some more up around that charge and some above to see what they do. Avg. velocity for the three could not be obtained because it was too cold for my Chrono. However, earlier in the fall I chrono'd three with 84 grains of Retumbo and they averaged 3097 fps with no visible signs of pressure.

I'll post my results when I get a chance to go to the range again.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
300winnie,
Just wondering if you are having much trouble getting those 84 grains of Retumbo into the case? I know I'm crunching powder with a lesser charge of the H1000, and I am using a drop tube.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My only success story is this:

http://www.groovebullets.com/groovy.html

POP aka Fotis

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thunderchild,

Yes, it is a compressed load. However, I am using fireformed brass which I am sure gives me a small amount of room. What I do is use a funnel to spiral the powder into the case and then use a back massager (vibrator ) on the loading block for several minutes to let the granules settle as much as possible (you have to be careful not to get to aggressive or the granules will spill out and don't touch a charged case or it will be all over). Anyway, after I do this there is still a small amount of compression, but not as bad as you would think. Another thing that help is I am able to have a c.o.l. that is close to 3.600" as opposed to the standard 3.340". Makes a big difference when it comes time to crunch powder.

Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
Winnie thanks for the info. Iam looking forward to getting back home and trying some H1000 and Retumbo with the 200gr Accubond. I also have a longer OAL, using a Ruger #1 little more room to play with. I liked the back massager idea, thats a new one on me.

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote