Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55mm ~V~ .260 Rem
 Login/Join

posted
In a modern bolt action rifle, can anybody tell me what the perfenace differences are between these two rounds? Also is there such a thing as a .260 Rem Improved and if so, how does it stack up against the other two?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
about 50 fps

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're pretty much the same. Velocities between the two don't vary much, especially if you have one of the newer 6.5x55's. It's a fantastic round, very accurate and a good killer. I use it for moose in Ontario with the 160gr bullet. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
The .260 will fit in a short action. The 6.5 x 55 can be handloaded to slightly higher velocities in a modern rifle.

My friend's daughter has been shooting a .260 for the last few years. So far she has taken 4 mule deer and 2 black bears, all one shot kills using 140 grain nosler partitions. Her last deer, taken the other evening, was shot head-on in the brisket from ~150 yards. The bullet traveled the length of the deer, broke the pelvis, and exited. Her luck with that round has me considering buyin a Ruger ultra-lightweight in that chambering as a handy little timber/mountain rifle.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

I have an L591 (short action) Sako in .308 which I have been considering rebarreling for a while now. I really liked the performance on game of a friends Tikka 6.5x55mm and thats what made me consider the .260 Rem as the 6.5x55mm won't fit into that action. I am worried though that the .260 Rem is actually quite a bit less than the 6.5x55mm and that is also what prompted me to ask if there was an Improved version...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JP Terp>
posted
The 6.5x55 will provide about 60-90 fps more velocity than the 260. With bullets under 129 grains, the difference is even less. My 22" 6.5x55's can get around 2700-2770 fps with 140 grain bullets. My 22" 260 will get between 2620 and 2650 with that same bullet.
Both are great cartridges and a Sako 260 sounds like a great idea!
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I think that practicaly there is no difference but if you like to stick to book loads the 260 has the edge (at least in the Nosler book)

Nosler shows 3,200fps for 100s, 3000fps for 120s and 2,750fps (?not so sure on this) for 140s. VVN560 really makes it a hot little number.

If you keep the same profile barrel your rifle will be a bit heavier.

My own 6.5x55 idles along at 3000fps for 100s and is excellent on muntjac, roe and fallow.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rimshot>
posted
Pretty much the same. In comparing most standard commercial loads, the .260 is faster. There is a light magnum offering in the 6.5x55 and the Norma 6.5 loads are fast. Whether or not this matters is a personal choice. In my 6.5x55 rifle, the Federal Premium 140 Grain Partition averaged 2458 FPS. I remember turning to my Dad and asking if this would be powerful enough for the wild pig hunt we were preparing for (this was quite a few years ago.) He said that it would be, and he was right! That load was amazing, and produced the loudest "hit" I've ever heard.
rimshot

Blue Collar Shooter Magazine

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete:

AS a guy who shoots and handloads for both calibers, in the real world, their performance is interchangeable. Velocity potential etc, is more academic depending on pressure and magazine length for cartridge accomodation.

With bullets of 140 grains out of either, you can handle most anything you can hunt in Wales or Britain. Moose in Scandanavia is probably the biggest thing Europeans can regularly hunt.
If a 6.5 Swede can take a type of game so can a 260. Point blank range of either is too close to worry about.

Your a winner either way, and it should make a nice rifle.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of 6.5mm cartridges (THE least understood written about cartridge line in existence)but would opt for the 260 or a 260 imporved for ONE reason. It can be made from any case of 0.473 rim diameter ( and that is a BUNCH) and 308 Winchester or longer.

LouisB
Just pure unadulterated opinion of course.

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote