Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Cast Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted
Anybody have any recommendations for which brands are good? I'm getting ready to try cast bullets in my .460 Weatherby. Anybody try Oregon Trail .459 bullets? MidwayUSA has them for a pretty good price, which is a plus. Thanks.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
Mt. Baldy Bullets makes some nice ones.
I hear they're coming out with a 500+ grain GC bullet just for the bigger 45 calibers and a 410 grain .416 GC bullet.
They also make awesome Keith bullets for handguns.

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KennethI:
Anybody have any recommendations for which brands are good? I'm getting ready to try cast bullets in my .460 Weatherby. Anybody try Oregon Trail .459 bullets? MidwayUSA has them for a pretty good price, which is a plus. Thanks.

I use oregon trail 350gr non GC in pactice loads for my 458 Lott (about 1500 fps). They seem to work pretty well and are accurate.

I wouldn't push the non GC bullet too much faster - I once loaded some to about 2000 fps and couldn't even get them on paper at 50 yards.

I wonder if the GC bullets will withstand higher velocities?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
I push the RCBS 350gr GC bullet in my .416 Rigby to almost 2000 FPS with no problems.
I also size the same bullet to .411 and use it in my .405 Winchester at just over 2000 FPS.

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote