Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading North Fork bullets
 Login/Join

posted
I've just received some 30cal 200gr NFs for use in my 300Wby. I see they come packaged with a paper that says they have been tested and will supposedly deliver "factory velocity" with 3%-5% less powder! Anyone here loading these been able to verify that claim?
I intend to laod them like I would any other bullet, using all normal start from below existing charge levels, etc.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that they have less pressure at standard loadings and that seems to go along with their thinking....My max 416 Load of 83 grs. of RL-15 with a 370 gr. NF didn't even take the roundness out of the primer that gets prett darn flat with other bullets at 81 grs..

My best accuracy is at 78 grs. and I get just a hair under 2400 FPS with them, so perhaps they are on to something. I will up the load to 79 grs. for a true 2400...May even shoot them at 2500 to 2600 and go for an exit hole. Mike says I am driving them too slow for exits, but they sure did perform to perfection with bullets coming to rest on the off side skin with perfect cloned mushrooms, I recovered 8 of them last year....

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnS,

In a word, YES. I have worked extensively with these in the .416 Rigby and .375 H&H. The velocities are higher with standard loadings. My barrels foul VERY little and are a 'snap' to clean.

I will soon be using their .30 cal 180 & 200gr. bullets in my .300 Ultra. Be advised that these bullets, unless MIKE tells you otherwise, are real penetrators. I was running my Rigby at 2500 fps. and the .375 at 2525. Bullets performed perfectly. I feel that you will like them. Oh, by the way,....Nothing has touched them in accuracy in my gun. 1/2" at 100 yards for 5 shots in the Rigby. I sent a bunch of targets to Mike. He used one in an advertisement. Hopefully you will be sending him some great "report cards" also.

Good luck and have a DEEP back stop. [Eek!]

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to tell you.

When I went to the LEE Factory Crimp Die, I was able to drop my powder down from 104.5gr. to 102.5 gr. H 4831SC and kept the same velocity. I was able to crimp lightly in one of the grooves.

Good shooting.

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sam-
Yes, I believe they shoot well! I have only shot two 3 shot groups thus far but both were sub 1/2". I haven't checked the velocity as yet as I never concern myself with that until I have found the most accurate load with the bullet being used.
I also have some in 375 and 338 and will start working with them shortly. If they perform as advertised on the terminal end of the deal I will be a steady user of them in the future.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have been shooting the North Forks for sometime now, their performance for me has been excellent in all chamberings. I have shot them in .284, .308, .338, .358, and .416. I have been able to get pin point accuracy with all sizes I have shot, some within the first and second groups I shot. The accuracy is exceptional, the terminal results for me and my buddies, I have loaded for, has been 100% in kills. I have taken two Bull Elk, yet to recover a bullet, after "in their tracks" kills. My buddy who won the Elk Foundation Hunt in East Marino Ranch in New Mexico, was very impressed with his results. He made a 420 yard kill on a very nice Bull with 200 grain North Forks from his .300 Ultra Mag at 3000 fps. using my handloads. He recovered two bullets that showed perfect mushrooms. Mike tested these and found 95 and 99% weight retention, if my memory serves me correctly. I shoot all bullets through my rifles, before I decide on my most accurate load, lately the Noslers, Swifts, Barnes, Kodiaks, Sierras, and Hornadys, have remained on the shelf, as I shoot the North Forks. Yep they are expensive, if you don't want to shoot the best shoot something else, but as for me, I have finally found quality that can be bought and relied upon. [Wink] Good shooting.

posted Hide Post
Cost alone should never be the determining factor in making a choice for bullets, or anything else for that matter! It's field performance, reliability and accuracy that counts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to try them someday---strategy will be hornady/sierra for practice--northfork for the hunt. Even if they are a $1/bullet how many hunts do you fire 5 shots. If you can't afford $5 for the best bullet you better stay home!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a web address or phone # for them

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
307-436-2726 phone
307-436-5780 fax

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Ray, I assume the figures for the 416 were from a 24" barrel??

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,
Yes, 24" barrel.

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote