New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Magnum primers needed for 223 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ran out of regular primers and loaded 25 grains of IMR 4895 with magnum primers. Remington 55 grain soft points. Shot a dime sized group at 185 yards with the heavy barrel new Savage in 223. My son took the gun and this past week killed two deer. One at 160 yards and the other 355 yards. Bullets mushroomed perfectly and deer dropped in their tracks. One was shot behind the shoulder and the other in the front of the neck where the white hair is.
I don't know if the magnum primers helped or not. But we will shoot up the other 800 plus primers.
I did not see any signs of too much pressure...

Posts: 43 | Location: redwater, tes | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog--Understand your point about gunsmiths. Ive known this guy 25 years and he is indeed a very good gunsmith. He was my postman for 20 years before he retired from that. While a postman he was staying busy gunsmithing. He has huge following because his work is so good. He is also a friend and he has gone hunting with me many times. When it comes to working on a gun--he knows what he is doing. There are lots of things about guns(not working on them)that we dont agree on.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"30.0 grains would not even go in some cases--had to work at it to get it in there."
carpetman, would 30.0 grains of 748 fit in some of your other cases? Were you using mixed brass? Sounds like problems I've had with listed loads of W748 in military brass (using mag primers.) I never noticed warnings about military brass until afterwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cukrus---was using mixed brass and 30.0 took work for all of them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote