New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Cleaning?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience using a rock tumbler to clean their brass? I tossed some Lyman cleaning media into a rock tumbler this morning to find out for myself. I know that media is designed for vibratory cleaning, but I'm hoping the results will transfer. Your Thoughts?

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one all the time. Opening and closing the barrel is more troublesome than a vibrator tub but it does work.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerThe tumblers are OK but not the rocks shameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got home from work...The brass look brand new! Couldn't be happier.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
This is a little off topic but does have to do with brass cleaning. I have been using Vinegar to clean my brass. I don't have a tumbler and probably won't for awhile. It works great. Just a little pass on advise

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I use vinegar also when I want to do a quick clean. Its doesn't get it quite are shiny or slick, but only takes a few minutes.

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A rotary rock tumbler will work fine. The large RCBS rotary tumbler is essentially just that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob & Kory, I've not tried the Vinegar. Does the Vinegar remove any of the residue from inside the Case and Primer Pocket?

Seems to be right on the Topic to me.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Note really. It just makes the brass shinier. If you really want to clean the brass so it is like new, add 1/4 cup of white vinegar to a quart of water and a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Then put that in a water proof tumbler (not a vibraory cleaner) and let it run for a couple of hours. Your brass will come out looking new, inside and out. Increase the liquid depending on how many shells you tumble.
A squirt of lemon juice prevents the vinegar from giving the bras that kind of orange/red color, but I've never tried it.

Kory

One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
Hot Core
For me it did! It worked great. I had about 400 .45acp in a tupperware like bowl. Addedvinegar to just cover it and put a sealed lid on it. I shook it real good every 5 mins and left it in there for about 20 or 25 mins. It came out great! Inside and out. Yes there was still some stuff inside but I think that would have disappeared if I had left it longer. I used cider vinegar if it matters. I also deprimed all the brass before I cleaned it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kory and Rob, Thanks for the fine input.

Did you "warm" the Vinegar any before pouring it in?

Do you save it for future use?

And Rob, it looks like you are using straight vinegar where Kory is using a diluted version with a shot of soap. Nice to see it is "flexible" on going about using it.

Always great to be able to learn a neat trick like this one.

Thanks again and best of luck to you both.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Thumler's Tumbler (Model B) since 1978. See no reason to change.

I still have the original booklet that came with it that advertises the grits neede and sample stones to polish.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Do you save it for future use?

Hot Core,

You welcome. Nice to be able to help someone since others have helped me so much.

I don't save it, but I know you can. After a while, it will stop working, but it is good for several cleaning. BTW, the Isso liquid cleaner is basically water, vinegar, and soap.

Kory

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganScott:
I've used a Thumler's Tumbler (Model B) since 1978. See no reason to change.

I bought one for my wife to tumble stones but she won't let me use it to clean shells. Big Grin I may order another drum for it for myself. The Thumblers tumblers are the best for the money and very water tight.

Kory

One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
I use my vinegar straight and yes I poured it right back in the jug. I'm thrilled with it. Hotdog gets all the credit though

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try "Kaboom" - it is some kind of house hold cleaner (ask your wife she might know). Anyway sombody on this forum recommended it on a earlier post. I tried it and it makes you brass look like new. I take a old rag and 3-4 rounds and spray it on - roll it around, wipe it off and let it dry. I did several 100 rounds in about 20-30 minutes. If you are going to do that many I would recommend wearing some rubber gloves as it drys your hands out.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kory and Rob, Thaks again. I'll try it.

Hey MHC_TX, Would you look on the label of that Kaboom and see if it mentions anything about "Ammonia"? If by chance it does have any Ammonia in it, we sure don't want to use it on our cases.

I've seen a commercial which I think was the Kaboom where they stuck a penny down into it and it sure cleaned it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Kaboom in the "purple" bottle (they also have something in a orange bottle (not sure what it's for). It says see below it is "a healthier alternative to ammonia-based or acidic solutions". The stuff works - thought about throwing my tumbler away Wink

Kaboom ® Shower, Tub and Tile Cleaner
32 oz. Bottle 17506 $7.99
Hard, non-wood surfaces with tough stains need effective, specialized cleaning care.

Use Kaboom Shower, Tub & Tile Cleaner
On mineral deposits, soap scum, rust, iron or hardwater stains, scale and lime…
To clean copper, brass, brass plating, steel fixtures, toilets, tubs, sinks, floors and walls…
As a healthier alternative to ammonia-based or acidic solutions.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

The reason for your question doesn't ammonia makes brass brittle or something like that?

Anyway Kaboom appears to be ammonia free. It really cleans that brass up (it really looks brand new). Now for the disclaimer: I have only used it once (cases still look new it's been about 3 weeks) and I do not have any long term history using this method. I am going to keep using "Kaboom" unless I learn otherwise.

I think it would be a great way to clean up loaded rounds too. It doesn't take much of the stuff - just a little on a rag will do the trick.

Try it out and see what you think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one, will NOT dunk my cases in any water based cleaner. When I dedcide to load, I want to be done whithin 3 hours. Liquid based cleaners have be dried nearly forever, or put in an oven. Now try to load hot brass! thumbdown An hour or two in my midway vibratory tumbler with corncob and midway polish and I'm ready to load!

I built one once, coppied from a drum/rock tumbler type I saw in a gunshop. I used a coffee can for a drum, it was slow but did work. It needed some humps inside to really turn the cases.

I tried iosso cleaner once, had some missfires because a tiny ammount of water must have stayed in the primer pocket! Never again! Mad

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
...The reason for your question doesn't ammonia makes brass brittle or something like that?...
Yes indeed. About 15-20 years ago, a house that had a flexible "brass" gas line going to the back of the kitchen stove blew the entire house up. Can't remember if it was in North Carolina or where, but they did a lot of investigation into it.

They decided the lady of the house had used Ammonia Based cleaning products throughout the house for a good number of years and they concluded the "Ammonia vapors" coming in contact with the Flex-Brass caused embrittlement and Pin Holes which lead to the house exploding.

I called my Family and told them to get theirs changed IMMEDIATELY! They did, because a couple of weeks later I drove up to check on it.

I also called Louisville Gas & Electric and asked why they had not notified anyone about the problem. They said they were unaware of it and said they would definitely look into it. About two months later, LG&E put a notice in with their Bills and told everyone to check and replace the Flex-Brass if they had it. But, I really doubt many folks paid attention to it.

I've has unexpected Pin Holes show up in the sidewalls of cases on occasion and believe it was due to using Ammonia Based Bore Cleaner and then not getting the Chamber cleaned as good as I should have.
---

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Kaboom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just put all the 9mm cases in the washing machine then rinse in acetone and let them dry a while Big Grin

Posts: 60 | Location: Spain | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote