New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case annealling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read that cases can be uniformly annealed by dipping the necks into molten lead.

I've got a Lee bullet casting pot and I'd like to try this. Can the readers of this forum help me by telling me what to do? Depth of immersion? Temperature? Time?

I'll be making .338-06 cases from .30-06.

Thanks

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For best results you'll need a thermometer since the temp. of the hot metal shouldn't exceed 650F. You then immerse the case as far as the shoulder and keep it there until the case head gets too hot to hold. Let me caution, however, that removing the lead from the outside of cartridge won't be easy as it solders itself on. An alcohol lamp or propane torch (have to be careful you don't overheat the brass) is far easier to use though.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the alcohol or oil lamp approach for small cases, but have not tried the technique on large cases and wonder if they can be heated enough.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use pliers to hold the case neck in the pot. When the case is hot enough that the lead doesn't cling to it, it is annealled. The pliers help as a heat block.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Set your pot for 700�. Dip the necks in graphite and then follow the other instructions you've received. Immediately after you pull the brass out of the lead, dump it into a bucket of water. The graphite prevents the lead from tinning onto the brass.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
I have never used the lead method but I have heard from several that it works well. One quation though, make sure that your pot of water that you quench the annealed cases in is far enough away that there is no possibility of a water droplet/splash landing in your molten lead pot. That would be bad juju.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. Waksupi's method looks easiest so I'll try it first. [Big Grin]

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot to go through. I built one of these in about 2 hours and I can take it anywhere, kind of hard to do with a melting pot and heat source. I used a cassette tape deck mechanism.
 -

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to ask, but what is it?

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Well, you put the case on the little round thing and flip the switch. It turns the case so you don't have to. You get a wonderfully even heat at the neck, and since you don't have to hold it, you can put the heat right where you want. I use a Bernzo-Matic and a sink full of water. When just starting to turn red, pluck it into the water. Flip the switch off, put another case on, flip switch on...repeat.
It cost me $2.97 for the toggle switch and the pretty brass screws. It looks like this on the inside.
 -

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote