New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler seconds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How are they? Why are they usually seconds? Nosler has some of the solid base .270 seconds listed are these partitions?

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Nosler seconds are excellent. When I'm buying Nosler bullets and what I want are available as seconds, seconds are what I buy. I doubt the average person could tell the difference between seconds and firsts. There are allegedly minor cosmetic defects; they must be extremely minor.

As for the solid base 270 seconds, if they were partitions, it would probably say so. You could e-mail Nosler to find out.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 30cal 150gr Solid Base bullets for 30yrs in my .300 at an avg 3370fps. TO ME they are/were the best cup and core bullet made. A friend uses the 130gr in his .270 and LIKES them ALOT. Some people say their too "hard" but I like them cause they don't blood shoot the meat.The .270 seconds Nosler is selling are not Partitions,but like the Partition,the SB sometimes loses its core but the thick solid base keeps penetrating. They've always been a very accurate bullet also.
As far as being seconds,supposedly it's strictly a cosmetic thing but I haven't been able to tell. Started checking weights when I first bought some seconds but gave it up as there was no diff.
Give them a try! I think you'll like them. I know Nosler upset alot of hunters by discontinuing them again!!

til later

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You do NOT want to buy those 270 Solid base seconds. This is the bullet that preceded the Btip. I just bought 500 and I'm contemplating whether or not I want more b/c they are so accurate.

If you buy them, I can't. Depending on how many are left.

Don't do it, it's a really bad move. Wink

And whatever you do, do NOT try them with 58.0 grains of Re22, Winchester brass, and Fed210 match primers, OR the near max load with H4831SC. They only shot into 0.375 for me which absolutely sucks.

I'm so discusted with these bullets, I'll likely waste one on a TX antelope in Sept.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHOA Doc,that first sentence had me worried for a second!! How they perform on game FOR YOU?

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler seconds are great. Match bullets length is very inconsistent. If you have time and a meplat trimmer they shoot as well as any. Ballistic Tips and Accubonds shoot as well as the more exspensive 1st.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only inconsistenly I've found in the Nosler seconds is in the lead tip length of some 150gr .277" partitions, about a dozen out of 100 were longer than normal, the bullet on the right had the longest tip, most of the abberations were just a little longer than normal.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a mess of 130gr accubond blems for my 6.5x55, CZ550... Went to the range this morning for a trial run...shot groups were .76" at 100yds...2.6" at 300yds. Plenty good for me...

I think they are a good deal. I got some 7mm, 150BTs at the same time and I havent tried them out yet, but I suspect they will shoot great..

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old (now again available) Nosler Solid Base is all I shoot in my .270 and .243. As said above, they are the best cup-and-core bullet ever made. Some say they are slow to open, but I've never found this to be the case. They provide plenty of expansion, with extra penetration provided by the solid base of jacket metal which forms the slightly boat-tailed base. In my opinion, the reason Nosler quit them as a retail bullet is that they would perform essentially equally to the Partition and were cutting sales of that bullet. The Ballistic Tip is nothing other than a Solid Base with a hollow point with a plastic nose cone stuck in it (making it more rapidly frangible) -- and the price boosted by several dollars a box.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EP:
WHOA Doc,that first sentence had me worried for a second!! How they perform on game FOR YOU?

til later

Well, let's face it, Nosler 2nds shoot the SAME as Nosler "1sts"....ask Nosler. Most "seconds" are simply an over run of bullets which is nothing more than surplus. You can't beat $6.95 for 50 bullets.

I also have 6 boxes of the 180 30cal ABs on the way at $12.95/box simply b/c they have an orange tip.

I have not killed anything with the solid base yet in my 270, but the plan is to remedy that this year. I found that in my Broughton-Richards 270, they shoot very very well when seated at the lands.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I use the 100 gr. 6mm SB seconds in an 243WSSM AR15 and they are extremely accurate. These bullets have a cannelure; understand most of the SB's did not so suspect they were an overrun for some ammo manufacturer. I can find no defects whatsoever on mine. It's a shame they do not make these any longer.

Shot four whitetail does and several coyotes last year and they performed just like you would expect a Nosler perform. Smiler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey NOSLER!! HOPE your reading these!!

til later

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EP:
Hey NOSLER!! HOPE your reading these!!

til later

I don`t!
If Nosler ever finds out how much demand there is for these bullets they will raise the price triple...
nilly

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Nosler Seconds Suck!!!

You guys need to go out and tell everyone who isn't a real close personal friend that they stink... someone would have to be out of their head to purchase any!!!!

( that way they wouldn't be sold out all the time for those of us who truly appreciate them and know what a great deal they are!!! banana)

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrHenley
posted Hide Post
I've bought quite a few of the Nosler seconds, both Accubonds and Partitions in several calibers and weights.

The Accubond seconds usually have some dings on the base. I simply chuck the bullet in a drill and sand down the dings.

Sometimes the seconds have cannelures and sometimes they have different colored tips. I got a batch of 180 grain 30 caliber Accubonds that had Orange Tips and cannelures. I shot them against some retail 180 grain Accubonds and they were darned close at 200 yards!

Weights on some lots are very consistent, but some lots have to be sorted.

I had a batch of Ballistic Tip factory seconds that had some green tarnish next to the tip. I used them in a 1000 yard match, and they exceeded my wildest expectations!

Partition seconds usually have slightly deformed lead tips, but are usually so close in weight they don't need to be sorted.

I'll use the Nosler Factory seconds instead of retail any time I can get them!

----------------------------------
"You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" ( - Kaiser Wilhelm speaking to a Swiss Militiaman)

"We will shoot twice and go home."

Posts: 26 | Location: Columbus, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed 2 bull elk in the late 1980's with Solid Base 120 grainers out of my old 25/06. They worked good.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jimmy-

The solid base bullets are not Partitions but do perform much like a premium. To me, they are amongst the very best "standard" bullets ever made, and I was sad to see them go. The recent availability is limited, so do hurry if you want 'em.

I use Nosler seconds quite a bit and have always enjoyed stellar results.

The buck below was taken with a 2nd -- a 125 grain Partition -- with a fireforming load in a 26" Match Grade Machine Contender barrel in 6.5mm Bullberry Imp. And if you want to know why a fireforming load would feature a Partition, that's easy: I got them for 9.95 per 50 during a sale, which made them cheaper than most standard bullets.

The FF loads are grouping less than 0.5 MOA, and I was able to take this buck at 220 yards. He never complained that the bullet wasn't a "first." Big Grin

This hog also fell to a 125 grain Nosler Partition 2nd, and the public land buck below that was taken with a 140 grain 7mm Solid Base from a 20" Contender in 7mm Bullberry. All were from the past hunting season, and terminal performance in each case was perfect.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
Nosler has some of the solid base .270 seconds listed are these partitions?

Now think about this for a moment-how could they be Partitions if they have solid bases? How would you insert the rear core, if the base is solid??

Please note the base and rear core of this Partition bullet!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good point.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting game with Nosler seconds for many, many, years now, when they first started offering them I bought a lifetime supply or .308 partition Protected Points, and 130 and 160 gr. .270 Partitions, shot up all my .270s over the years and down pretty low on my 30 calibers... Best investment I ever made...The work like a charm. I am a Nosler partition fan and the Solid base bullets worked well for me on Mule Deer and a limited number of plainsgame in the .270 and .308.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you gentlemen know if there is a way I can get Nosler seconds in Canada, or is that one of the benefits of living south of the border. I would love to be able to shoot those for less than $45 per 50 bullets, but I don't hear of the seconds getting up here. Do I have to order straight off the website? Do bullets/ammunition have the same import/export restrictions as rifles and scopes?
Thanks for the help,
Good shooting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70classic:
Do any of you gentlemen know if there is a way I can get Nosler seconds in Canada, or is that one of the benefits of living south of the border. I would love to be able to shoot those for less than $45 per 50 bullets, but I don't hear of the seconds getting up here. Do I have to order straight off the website? Do bullets/ammunition have the same import/export restrictions as rifles and scopes?
Thanks for the help,
Good shooting,
Graham

M70,

Yeah they do have the same restrictions Frowner

Otherwise a few Aussies would be making life difficult for Seafire and Ray Wink

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRYBABY CRYBABYBlast! Thanks Blair. I was afraid of that. You bet there would be a few of us Canucks who would put a serious dent in supply as well.
Good shooting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You guys shouldn't use them. Or at least wait until I can get more 375 caliber Partitions, they're always out of stock.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are gonna have to learn to ignore threads like this one. It seems that everytime I go the the Pro Shop, they are out of my most accurate bullets, not to mention the best deal on premium bullets on the planet. You go on and on about how cheap they are and how good they shoot; I'm never going to build my supply to the point I am comfortable; not to mention fact that the new 8mm darling has absolutely nothing to digest. You just have to learn not to tell everything in one setting.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got this from a Nosler forums regular:
www.bivwak.com

He says it's a GOOD alternative to e-bay plus they'll be handling Nosler seconds bullets.

til later

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A primary reason the 2nds are often out of stock is that one individual buys up all he can and then resells them at reloadingseconds.com or something like that.

He also marks them up to nearly the price of Nosler firsts.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You round up the posse,BT! I'll get the rope!

til later