New
Find
Notify
Tools

P.O.I. Change
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my 300 WSM "F" class rifle back from the smith, and I am going to start barrel break on it tomorrow. I had shot the barrel out of it and had it replaced with another Lilja 1 in 11 twist barrel that finished at .970 at 30". The action is a 700 Rem. S.A. that had been modified to accept the 300 WSM. The action had trued and all other tricks done to it the first time around so this is just a rebarrel/rechamber this time. The scope is a Leupold 6.5 X 20 LRT in a 20 MOA one piece Ferrel base and Badger rings. I took the scope off the base when I took it to the smith and have reinstalled it. The rifle is bedded in an H.S. Percision long range tactical stock.

Would anyone care to take a guess how far off the original zero it will be using the same load as the first barrel. I am betting it will be within 3" to 4" even after the rebarrel/rechamber. Any one else care to take a wild guess. It will be interesting to see.

May I be half the man my grandson thinks I am....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I'll take a WAG at it. I have no centerfire reloading experience, and all of my rifle shooting is with an M-16 or AR-15, so I'f I'm way off with my logic it's because I'm just plain ignorant. So here it goes.

Assuming that the new barrel is exactly concentric relative to the old barrel as it's installed in the action, I'd guess that it would start shooting a bit high, but still within the 4 inches you mention. My unqualified logic is that the new barrel is tighter so pressure and velocity would be slightly higher, causing a higher impact.

Even with all other variables that exist between two supposedly identical barrels, I don't think there would be another factor that would effect POI as much as a new bore.

OK, so how'd I do? Please feel free to point out all the flaws in my thinking. I truly am amazed at the experience levels of the magority of posters in this forum and would appreciate your input.

Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
River Rat, how many rounds did it take to burn your original barrel out??..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tarus Bill:
Your logic makes as much sense as anyone elses does. There is so much that goes into rebarreling a rifle. Threading the barrel, rechambering it and putting it back into the stock. Not to mention and new barrel with no wear on it. Your guess is as good as mine. I will post the results.

Sakofan:
I put 1457 rounds through the barrel before deciding to rebarrel it. The rifle shoot good enough to win the last match I shot it in but the accuarcy was going away. I had chased the lands .072" and it was time to rebarrel for the up comming season. There is a difference between good accuracy and match quality accuracy. I am going to have the chamber cut out of that barrel and rechamber it in 308. I can get another 1000 to 1500 rounds out of it that way. It is a very good barrel, the throat is just gone.

May I be half the man my grandson thinks I am....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote