New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blown Federal 210 primers in a 25/06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've had a problem with blown Federal primers when loaded in 25/06 rounds for shooting in a Tikka rifle. The loads were several grains under max, loaded in Remington brass. This happened with more than one powder and more than one bullet.

I then switched to CCI 200 primers, and had no more trouble with blown primers, even with max loads.

Anyone know why this happened? I've had good results with those same Fed 210 primers (from the same box) when loaded in 6mm Remington and 270 Winchester loads, with the 270 loads being max.

Can anyone here tell me what was happening with those 25/06 loads to cause blown primers?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
sounds like excessive headspace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was headspace then it would be backing out all primers or getting head seperations..

I suspect the fed. 210 is a little hotter than the 200 and that you are near or at max, because you are using Remington brass and it is thicker than most and should be cut two grains below max and that puts the Remington loads at max..I'd use the Fed 210 and cut back a couple of grains...If you must use the 200 I would cut back one grain as you are pushing the string a little.....
Velocity will be the same with the two grains less powder in Remington cases...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A blown primer is, tome, one in which the case has expanded to point that the primer falls out. This is from excessive pressure. Apierced primer is one where there is a hole where the firing pin indent would have been. This is caused by a soft primer cup or a malformed firing pin or a faulty bolt(hole too large) or too much firing pin protrusion or a combination of these. Sounds like your Federals have a soft cup. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Mic the depth of your CCI primers and of your Federal primers...you will find the CCI are shallower.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BillC>
posted
I helped a friend develop loads for a 22-250 a few years back that did the same thing. I know this sounds wierd, but when the charge weights were increased closer to max, the primers quit blowing. Accuracy greatly improved also. As it was a few years back, I can't remember the exact reason given by the gun store personnel, but he was told something to the effect that it was not unheard of for that caliber to blow primers with loads well under max. I would have the gun checked out. Good luck.

Bill C