Find
Notify
Tools

BL-C(2) in 303 Brit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Is anyone using BL-C(2) in the Brit? Or tried it? It is listed as producing the highest velocities in the Brit and some other cartridges at what seems the lowest pressure. I'm interested in lower pressure, not necessarily the highest velocity. I'm currently using AR2209/H4350 and with that powder I am getting very good accuracy so I'd only want to change if there was no loss of accuracy. A slight gain in velocity won't hurt either.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Don't know what bullet you're using ,no matter, any of the 4350s is going to give you less pressure in the .303 than Bl-C-2 ( WCC846). beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm using 180gr Highland (PRVI).

It's the loading charts that show BL-C(2) to give the highest velocities in the Brit and a few others.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303 Guy I haven't used any BL C 2 in the 303 but I have used W760 and H414 with 180 gr .I have found best accuracy and low pressures in several SMLE's with W760 which gave very good case life. When loaded to higher pressures in a P-14 W760 gave me the highest velocity with V good accuracy. I've found W760 to be very consistant even in low pressure loads.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesFWIW Of all the reloading manual data I have The 180 grain bullet pushed by 44 grains of Accurate 2520 yields a pressure of 45000 psig and the highest velocity of 2568 fps. Win. 760 yields 46550 psig. and a velocity of 2435 fps. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm a pretty conservative loader and like to see some roundness on the primers. My reason for looking into ball powders and slower ones is that the AR2209/H4350 I'm using doesn't quite fill the case but more importantly, it peens cast bullet bases badly. So, I'd like the slowest powder that will produce the highest velocity with the lowest pressure but is also consistent at lower load densities for use with cast. I'd rather use a powder that doesn't produce full pressure with a full case than one that requires empty space to keep the pressure down.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Thanks. My reason for looking into ball powders and slower ones is that the AR2209/H4350 I'm using doesn't quite fill the case but more importantly, it peens cast bullet bases badly.

fishingDifferent ball game ole buddy. shocker 180 grain cast+++++ 28 grains XMp 5744, 41000CUP, 2160 fps. or 37 grains XMR-2015 41399 CUP 2350 fps. beer Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BL-C2 is a powder I stay away from.
I like powders that are flexible enough to use in several different round with different bullet weights. BL C2 worked ok in my 30-30 and was very accurate in my .222. But it resulted in black cobwebs growing in the .222's bore a week after I cleaned it. In a 270 it made a 3 ft diameter muzzle flash with a 90 grain Sierra. That was back when it cost $2.97 a lb. I found other powders i like better that did't do any of those things.

If you use a .303 Lee-Enfield at max pressure it will eat your brass.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I stay away from hot loads in the Brit which is why I asked about the BLC(2). I see in the reloading manuals it can prduce good velocities at lower pressure in one cartridge then high pressure in another. I'm going to pass on that powder. I notice too that ball powders have a way of skyrocketing in pressure at the top end of their loads. I found this with a ball powder in the Brit many years ago with velocity readings and primer flattening. Stick powder would produce a fairly flat velocity/powder charge curve while the ball powder had a pronounced curve.

Regards
303Guy