Find
Notify
Tools

30/30 Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted
Well, I screwed up and accidently bought some 100 grain .308 cal soft points for my 30/30 instead of 150 grain flat points. I still want to load them but I don't have any of the powders recommended in my manual. I have Varget, IMR4895, Reloader 19, Red Dot and H110. Can anyone recommend a combination that will work in my Winchester 94 (yes I realize they will have to be loaded one in the chamber and one in the magazine)Thanks!

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that 35grains of IMR4895 should be just about right.... should be good for 2350-ish

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
A Red Dot load with that bullet would make a good plinking load...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Kenney:
Well, I screwed up and accidently bought some 100 grain .308 cal soft points for my 30/30 instead of 150 grain flat points.

How many you got, Chris? I got a lot of 150gr Hot Core FPs, We might be able to do a trade and Temecula ain't all that far. Give me a PM if you're interested. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Kenney:
Well, I screwed up and accidently bought some 100 grain .308 cal soft points for my 30/30 instead of 150 grain flat points. I still want to load them but I don't have any of the powders recommended in my manual. I have Varget, IMR4895, Reloader 19, Red Dot and H110. Can anyone recommend a combination that will work in my Winchester 94 (yes I realize they will have to be loaded one in the chamber and one in the magazine)Thanks!

Try Re7 at 32 to 33 grains. You can reach out to 500 to 600 yards very easily with that light of a bullet. Real fun to plink with.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornOf the powders you have on hand you should be able to load 25gr. of H110 with no problem and perhaps 2600 fps. Please do not start at the 25gr figure, however. Not knowing your rifle, 19gr. should be a good starting point. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your help guys. I thought maybe I could get a decent coyote round out of these.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
with a 100 grain bullet, or 110 grain, the fastest load I have found was one using RL 7... it gave a velocity of 3000 fps out of my 20 inch barreled Marlin and Model 94....

that was chronographed, not out of the book...It was something like 30 grains of RL 7.. work up from 28 grains, as that is what is listed in the Lyman 47 manual for a 150 grain bullet, so that will be a safe starting point...

I was doing that with both 110 grain SP and RN's out of the 30/30...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Hodgdon has some loads for 110 grain bullets that will work with your 100's. They list Varget, H4895, and Win 748.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Seafire!
Love your Spitfire painting. Do you remember the companion painting to that one with the B-17 coming home to the White Cliffs, engine out? Wish I could find a copy of that one.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote