New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case trimming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best way to trim new cased when the neck is sized to seat bullets and will not fit the trimming pilot?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chances are if they are new cases they won't need trimming. Load and shoot, then trim. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't use the pilot it seems back-ass-ward to me.
You size your case and it's perfect then you cram a pilot inside your case mouth and let it "waller" around.
I haven't used one in many many years.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted

How do you trim w/o pilot?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your chamber is normally much longer than your brass. You probably can fire your cases many times before they need trimming and then mostly to square them up.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingBuy an extra pilot of the right dia. or if one isn't offered buy one slightly larger and hone it down on a lath or drill press. get close and lube well. If you have access to a lath build a pilot. Been there done that. But unless you have case lenth trimm dies use a pilot. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
Ted

How do you trim w/o pilot?

Just like with a pilot...I just use the cutter with no pilot.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy an extra pilot of the right dia. or if one isn't offered buy one slightly larger and hone it down on a lath or drill press.
What make and model trimmer do you have?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

I bought one of these and never looked back. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a L.E. Wilson trimmer. They don't use pilots at all. Holds the case in an abbreviated chamber(shorter than the case). The adjustable stop contacts the case head to set case length. You can see one at the link below.

http://www.sinclairintl.com

Click on online catalog, reloading equipment, case trimmers, then Wilson.
Scroll down, second item is the "bare bones" trimmer. Click on to the second page to see some handy setups with the trimmer. The micrometer head on the adjustable stop is a real time saver for fast accurate set ups.
The basic trimmer is $40. Case holders are $10 to $15 +/-.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
What billt said. Its an awesome machine

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have the wrong pilot for the cases you are trimming. There are different pilots for the various calibers you wish to trim.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
++1 on the Wilson trimmer. No pilots needed. A taper-bored cylinder holds the case centered and true without requiring a collet or pilot.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
++1 on the Wilson trimmer. No pilots needed. A taper-bored cylinder holds the case centered and true without requiring a collet or pilot.

Andy

YEP!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote