Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra 165 BTHP GK.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 3 .308s and one 30,06.
Went looking for a box of these bullets To try and see how they would shoot in my hunting loads for general purpose big game.
Mule deer and elk, for the most part.
As I understand it these bullets are a little tougher that the standard sierra boat tails.
Anybody here shoot much game with this bullet.
I could,t find any localy but I will.
I would like to get 2700 to 2750 from the .308 and about 100 FPS more with the 06.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are an extremely accurate bullet in most anything I've run them through. Sierra says they are tougher than their regular bullets but I'm not sure everyone will agree. A deer bullet they are....elk....I think there are better choices.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used the 165 gk in 308 and the 180 gk in 30-06 for years. With the 165's I have 119 deer taken with it and have had only 1 deer that required a second shot. It was a doe that jumped up on a powerline and looked back at 20 feet. I attepted to drive the bullet from left rear to right front shoulder. It stopped in the lung and required a second shot after she ran 400 yards down hill to a fence. She was sick enough not to jump it. But I put in a finisher as the brush was chin high and I might have lost her. All the others shot were bang/flops or ran less than 50 yards before dropping. My experience is that the sierras shot little groups, expand violently and will shed the jacked if pushed through heavy bone. I believe I would look for something a bit more sturdy for elk. I do love them on deer.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very accurate but I do prefer the regular 165gr BT and not the HP. Too much meat damage with the HP on deer. The HP also has a much lower ballistic coefficient.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies gentelmen.
I just found about 200 remington 165 grain corlockets and about 75 of the sierra BTSPs I forgot I had so, I will see how my rifle likes those before I try the sierra.
...tj3006
I

freedom1st