Tools

Surplus Powder Avoidance?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:

Is it paranoia? Or do they not love to experiment? Better never buy a wildcat, their panties would really get tied in a knot not having reams of published data to load by!

Golly, Grizz, why don't you just say what you mean? hammeringroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought 32lbs from Jeff Bartlet and could not be happier. My groups from a stock mini-14 at 50 yards with a cheap BSA red dot can be coverd with a quarter. Normally it was a baseball sized group, talk about improvement. I did start at 10% below max for H335 and I was also using pulled G.I. 55/62g bullets from Hitechammo. At 23.4g for th 55 it averaged 2782 FPS, at 22.6 the 62 g averaged 2684. I'll start bumping up velocity until accuracy decreases, but if I had to stay were I was right now, there would be no complaints. I also want to try this powder with .303 British and .30-30, does anyone have any experience with this?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
mgunThere are five of us now shooting a lot of accurate data 86 at Fish Canyon on Wed.

The artillery includes at least 4ea. 22-250s, 3,ea. .243s, 1ea. 257 Roberts, 2ea. 6.5X55s, 2ea. .260s, 1 .270, 4ea. 7x57s, 2ea. 7-08s, 4ea. .308s, 2ea. 30-06s, 1ea..300 Win. Mag. 2ea. 8x57s, 1ea. 8x404. x2.5" IMP. and 1ea .358x404 IMP.

There has not been one complaint about the accuracy obtained from the use of this powder; plus it is realy hard to over load.

Today and old timer (my age) shot three MOA three shot groups at 100 yds., consecutively, with a light weight Mod 70 sporter in 30-06 loaded with data 86. He is 1/2 blind with cateracts to boot.

Another contemporary with osteoporosous, today, using data 86 in his Stevens 200 , .243 was just giggiling away to himself as he shot all the centers out of his targets at 25yds.

I have a sense of sorrow that some of the posters, here, can't find a little enjoyment out of the use of this stuff. I'll just bet that these same guys would bad mouth toilet paper or ice cream. stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a sense of sorrow that some of the posters, here, can't find a little enjoyment out of the use of this stuff. I'll just bet that these same guys would bad mouth toilet paper or ice cream.

I am with you, Roger. I have been very pleased with Accurate Data 86's performance. So much so, that I ordered another 2 kegs last night. Would have ordered more, but my wife worries about how much I have in the house. Even just getting two kegs keeps the price per pound below $10.
The only negative I can find with it is that it does burn a little dirtier than the IMR or Viht powders. Tends to leave powder fouling on the case necks. No big deal, just not as pretty after tumbling. For 60% of the cost and excellent performance, I will live with dirty necks.
And as other posters have mentioned, the fewer of us that take advantage of it, the longer powder valley's supply will last. Back in November, they still had over 450 kegs of it, so hopefully they still have some left. Unless of course, Roger and his buddies have cleaned them out of it.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
[QUOTE]The only negative I can find with it is that it does burn a little dirtier than the IMR or Viht powders. Tends to leave powder fouling on the case necks. No big deal, just not as pretty after tumbling. For 60% of the cost and excellent performance, I will live with dirty necks.

I agree with you about the soot.A couple things;
  • if you use close to max charges and lubeless cases the soot mostly goes away.
  • The tumbling procedure I use gets rid of all the soot most of the time(so far all the soot when using 86 but using wcc846 is soot to a higher dergree.) Tumbler 3/4 full of the walnut media, after cases are added spray ""generously"" with Orange 409,cut up napkin or paper towel into inchling size and add. Turn on tumbler outdoors with cover OFF and after about one minute add a heaping teaspoon of Bon-Ami.Let it run for three to four hours. When done brush out all your equipment and throw away the dirty inchlings. beerroger

•  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have been reading this "no one in their right mind" stuff for 10 years on the internet.

People will admit that there are those better musicians, mountain climbers, poisonous snake handlers, etc.

But they can't see how someone else has the skill to work up unpublished loads.

It reminds me of Huckleberry Finn
    quote:
    Jim said bees wouldn't sting idiots; but I didn't believe that, be- cause I had tried them lots of times myself, and they wouldn't sting me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I use quite a bit of WC-844 for 5.56 loads for my AR15. Good to hear it can be used for my M1 also as I don't like 4895 so have been loading IMR 4064 and paying full price for it. I will have to try the WC-844 in some.

Don Nelson
    Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote