New
Find
Notify
Tools

275 Rigby brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why doesn't anyone make/offer brass marked .275 Rigby? I bet a lot of us Anglophiles would love to 'upgrade' our lowly eek2 7x57s, hehe, by shooting brass so marked. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be kind of novel, however, I read on one of these forums that the 7x57mm and the .275 Rigby, were very slightly different. I don't remember the final on the post, but maybe someone out there with a whale-load of info on the Rigby could chime in. .275 Rigby or 7x57mm, it is one hell of a cartridge. I began getting mine because of the writings of Jack O'Connor back in the 1950s in Outdoor Life Magazine. When I was 10 years old in 1957, my grandmother bought me a subscription to the magazine and from that instant on, I was in love with the outdoors and all it had to offer. I later told my parents, who thought "roughing it" meant getting a cabin at one of the resorts at Big Bear Lake in California for a couple of days, that I must have been adopted because I was the only one in the family who dreamed of hunting one day and loved to fish. Hell, I'm sorry! Just got a nostalgia blurb going through my head. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I had my custom marked as .275 Rigby, I'd definately buy some properly headstamped brass (as long as they weren't making it out of gold).

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
HI

I'M LOOKING FOR 275 HEADSTAMPED BRASS ALSO.

IN MY CHILDHOOD I WAS AFFLICTED WITH POLIO AND AT AGE 7 DID A LOT OF READING, NOT MUCH ELSE TO DO BETWEEN THERAPY SESSIONS.

TWO OF MY FAVORITE TOPICS AT THAT TIME WERE HUNTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY.

MY FOLKS BELONGED TO THE READERS DIGEST BOOK CLUB AT THIS TIME AND FOUND A BOOK IN THE CLUB LISTING THAT COVERED BOTH SUBJECTS.

THE BOOK WAS COAUTHORED BY MARTIN JOHNSON IN CONJUNCTION WITH HIS WIFE OSA. IT WAS ALL ABOUT AFRICA. THE PICTURES AND STORIES WERE GREAT.

IT SEEMS OSA WAS QUITE A LADY AND ASSISTED MARTIN IN ALL HIS ENDEAVORS. WHILE MARTIN WAS TAKING PICTURES OSA COVERED HIS BACKSIDE AND KEPT THE ANIMALS FROM TURNING MARTIN INTO A MEAL OR TOE JAM. HER FAVORITE RIFLE, THE 275 RIGBY.

I THOUGHT WOW, WHAT A GAL. SHE WAS MY HEROINE AT THAT TIME. I GOT TO HAVE A RIGBY SOMEDAY. COULDN'T AFFORD ONE SO I BUILT ONE. ONLY THING DIFFERENT ABOUT MINE IS IT'S BUILT ON AN 09 ACTION. BUT I WOULD STILL LIKE TO HAVE 275 RIGBY BRASS. I ALSO MARKED MY ACTION 275 RIGBY.

SO IF ANY OF YOU FIND RIGBY HEADSTAMPED BRASS LET ME KNOW, AND I WILL DO THE SAME FOR YOU. THANX

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, if enough people were interested it could be had from Quality Cartridge. Many guys here that have wlidcats, especially the Taylor, have brass made by QualCart. They will get the stamps to make a custom that they don't yet carry as long as 200rds. are spoken for. (speaking from memory here but I am pretty sure that is the deal).

I have talked to my gunsmith who has been in business longer than many and I believe he did say that they are indeed identical, the 275 and the 7x57.

If guys were going to buy quantity I would think that the price would go down on the Quality Cartridge stuff.

Some day I have to get one made as well. Probably on an argentine as well. break out the pics of Alf's original and try to get it as close as possible.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an article on locating "Karamojo" Bell's 275 Rigby and they went into quite a bit of detail on the cartridge. Seems like Rigby had two forms of the rifle, with one throated for 140 gr. bullets and the other for the 172-175 gr. bullets, the latter being Bell's choice. The ammunition of choice for Bell was 7x57 DWM 173 gr. bullets according to the article. If I understand things correctly, the only difference between the .275 Rigby and the 7x57 Mauser is the name. Let's face it, there wasn't much love between the Brits and the germans, and toa dmit that a German cartridge might be suitable for hunting? No way! So Rigby had Kynoch make the ammo and headstamped it .275 Rigby. Kynoch sells it to Rigby who in turns sells it to some poor sucker who doesn't realize the two rounds are the same. Rigby makes a bunch of money off the "proprietary round that ain't really proprietary". With all that said, there ain't no flies on the 7x57 or the .275 Rigby. I just wish Winchester hadn't dropped their 175 gr. round nose load.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had another caliber re-barreled to 7x57 I also had my riflesmith mark the barrel with both 275 Rigby and 7x57.

Heck, I'd probably buy 200 pieces myself, well depending on price Big Grin

Hell yes, I'm in! I'll try and call them on Monday.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also be interested in this. I just went to QUALITY CARTRIDGE website and they list .275 Rigby headstamped brass as current. I am assuming that is currently available. I will call first thing Monday and try and update this post.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
HI

GOT THE SKINNY BACK ON THE 275 RIGBY BRASS, SORRY BUT THE WAIT WAS KILLING ME AND CURIOSITY GOT THE BETTER OF ME.

THE PRICE QUOTE I RECEIVED WAS $29.97 FOR 20 ROUNDS WHICH I THINK IS A GOOD BALL PARK FIGURE FOR CUSTOM BRASS. LOOK AT THE PRICES OF OTHER CUSTOM BRASS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME.

HOWEVER THEY ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK. I EMAILED THE SHOP TP FIND OUT WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO START PRODUCTION AGAIN BUT NATURALLY THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO ME UNTIL AFTER THE 4TH.

SO IF YOU WANT BRASS GIVE THEM A CALL OR EMAIL PETER CARDONA@ abn82d@hotmail.com.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if we got together and ordered 1000 if the price would come down very much? capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you guys need to get a job, you got way to much idol time on your hands!! sofa jump

Just kidding!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a teacher and we have two months during the summer to rejuvinate ourselves. I rememder when it use to be three months but no mas! Here in south Texas it's over 100% and windy. hard to get out. capt david

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
DEAR ATKINSON

I SPENT 52 YEARS IN THE WORK FORCE AND I FIGURE NOW I CAN DO ANY DAMN THING I WANT TO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THAT INCLUDES GETTING UP AT THE CRACK OF NOON IF I WANT TO.

LIKE THE SONG SAYS "EACH NIGHT BEGINS A NEW DAY". MY KIDS TOLD ME TO STICK IT IN MY EAR. LOL

"THE" THREAD KILLER

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I got a call back from ???? (senior moment here, can't remember the name) at Quality Cartridge this evening (yes Sunday) and he said they are planning a run on 275 Rigby headstamped brass in about a month.

The price now is $33.97 though. I asked about the price for 200 pieces and he said he could come down to $29.97 plus the shipping (about $13) to me in the Seattle area. I asked about larger orders and he said the price could be less depending on quantity but we didn't discuss price.

I left him with a future order for 200 cases (maybe more depending on cash flow) and he will email me when he has stock to ship.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Maybe we ought to see about a group buy? I'm interested.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need some 275rigby brass in a while.

I checked with Dieter Horneber who can produce it but at a price.

The quality cartridge stuff sounds a very good deal as long as it is quality! Interested mysefl

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm not the only weird one. But what I need for the Ruger #1 is brass marked .275 Rigby Improved.............