New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 casull sizing problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my nomal procedure is to size brass and then trim it. with this caliber i am having trouble getting the trimmer pilot into the sized brass. i am using Hornady dies and a Forster trimmer.

the trimmer specifed by Forster is "452". i spoke to Hornady, Lee, and RCBS and got the same answer about what the sized inside neck doimension should be. i have forgotten their answer, but i remember that it was the same.

i checked the brass dimension and the pilot dimension. both are where they should be. so what's the deal?? of course i guess i could just trim before i resize.....anyone see anything wrong with this approach?? anyone having a similar problem??

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rarely(never) trim revolver brass but I had a similar problem with the pilot I use for my .416 Rigby. My easy fix was to chuck it in my Milwuakee Magnum and go to work on it with some 400 grit wet/dry. It polished down real nice and I've never had the same problem since. Curiously though, this only happend with BeLL brass and not Norma brand.

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Expand the neck/mouth but do not flair the mouth and you will not have this problem anymore. After trimming and de-burring, go ahead and flair the mouth to take the bullet. Pilot bind is quite common if you do not expand the mouth first.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote