THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    30-06 and compressed loads using 208 grain bullet

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 and compressed loads using 208 grain bullet
 Login/Join

posted
Hello I’m new to the forum and new to hand loading for rifle cartridges so please be gentle with me. I am working up my first load for a 30-06 using Federal Brass, CCI LRP Primers, Hornady 208 Grain HPBT bullets and H4831 Powder. Based on the Lyman 49th edition manual I loaded to a COAL of 3.290” but after joining this forum and reading the threads on long range hand loading I may adjust that after seeing how close that length places the ogive to the rifling. Upon seating the bullets to the above mentioned length I can hear a small powder crunch, but still hear the powder in the case after seating is complete. Okay good, I know that those loads are not compressing the powder. My question is how will I know when I have officially reached a compressed powder charge, the max charge listed for this powder is 57.5 grains and it is compressed according to the manual. The reason I’m concerned is I’m sure that the powder starts to compress before I reach the max charge of 57.5 Grains and from what I have read, when using a compressed powder charge it is important to recheck the COAL at least once after your initial measurement to make sure that the bullet has stayed in place and has not been pushed further out of the case by the powder.

So my questions are;
#1: Is shaking the completed cartridge and listening for powder rattling around a sufficient way to determine if the powder charge has been compressed or not?

#2: How often should I check the COAL after seating a bullet on top of a compressed powder charge, and are there any solutions if the bullet will not stay at the proper length?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you can hear/feel the powder shake, it's not compressed. Check the length as often as you want. Crimping will hold the bullet in place if needed. Lee's factory crimp die works well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Many so called "compressed" loads will settle. The amount of powder that will fill a case up to the bullet bottom when quickly dumped in the case will be a lot less than what will fill it through a drop tube. Bigger the grains of powder bigger the difference.

Waht it sounds to me is your load when dumped in the case and seating the bullet causes some compression. The powder will settle as the case is moved around. If you can hear powder I would bet you have no compression and the bullet won't move.

If you have mag length and clearance from the lands I'd look at moving the bullet out.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1: Is shaking the completed cartridge and listening for powder rattling around a sufficient way to determine if the powder charge has been compressed or not? This works till you become hard of hearing from shooting to much.

#2: How often should I check the COAL after seating a bullet on top of a compressed powder charge, Check the COL the day before going shooting and are there any solutions if the bullet will not stay at the proper length?
Increase neck tension by makeing the expander ball smaller.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Compressed loads are some of my favorites. I think it's unlikely you'll reach the point where the charge is so compressed the bullet will pop back up without having signs of excess pressure but, as noted, if it will remain seated at the proper length for a bit, a Lee Factory Crimp Die would work well to secure it in place.

Loss of ability to hear the rattle of powder in the case stops before any significant powder compression occurs.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use a little vibration to settle the power charge if necessary before you seat the bullet.
An electric shaver or electric clippers might do it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote