New
Find
Notify
Tools

Micmac's meat saving partitions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are you and I the only meat hunters on AR? I saw your post about the Nosler partitions being easy on the steaks, and was wondering what specifically you are useing. I have receintly started using a 6mm with 105 Speers because I shoot a lot of does and fawns just for meat, and the 270 is a little robust. Even the 6mm and that bullet are stronger than I need, I guess I could load it down some, but a flat traj. is really nice. I have heard the 95gr partitions praised, maybe I'll switch.

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a 416, 376 with a flat nose solid if you want to save bruising...they work great..

Velocity is what ruins meat...A tough bullet and slow velocity is what works for me....

But the final answer is a high neck shot..Thats what I use on does....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it,s a paradox, I know my 45-70 would be easy on the meat, I've shot quite a few critters with a muzzle loader where you can eat right up to the hole, but now that I'm back in Wyo, I am shooting a lot of critters, 3 ant and 3 deer, and that's without doing any elk or moose or bird hunting, so the season just isn't long enough to fool around a long time sneaking up on each deer and antellope. So I want to use my high vel calibers where I can reach out and touch something.

I've lived places where taking a doe required no effort at all, you could just pick one up on the way home in the evening, but that's not the case here, mostly because of the broken land pattern. You have to work for them some, which makes the whole thing a lot more interesting, but still, there isn't time in the season to fool around with less than the most efficient guns and still fill up the freezer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, Ray's post about the 416 is probably right on the money. However, I am surprised he did not suggest the .338 Win Mag as well.

I have shot a number of deer with the .338 Win Mag using 250 grain Sierra boat tail bullets. They were dead right now and the damage to the meat was quite minimal!!!

I took a Ruger Number One chambered in .338 Win Mag deer hunting one time in Wyoming. The guide about had a fit! A danged single shot, and that shell will just blow a deer all to heck, he said. I killed a hell of a nice buck the next morning with one shot through both shoulders. Meat damage was next to nothing, the guide admitted he was impressed!!

I would not go out and buy a .338 just to hunt deer, but it will kill the hell out of them and not ruin a bunch of meat.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True true, but a 338 is not a lot of fun to shoot. What gun do you shoot the best, gotta be your 22 rimfire. What is next best, some little popgun centerfire, certainly not some loundenboomer. Me and the 6mm get on really well, only shot it a couple of years now, but I've already made several of those shots that you remember.