Find
Notify
Tools

Need Some Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Since I can't find BLC (2) or Varget, my prefered powder for my .223, I am looking to use what I have. Alliant shows some loads using Rel 15 which I have. I also have some Rel 17. Anyone used this in their 223? Should be a real flame thrower! I also have some H4198, but general consensus is it may not cycle the AR's? Will try some this weekend.

My Rel 17 is unopened, anyone in northern Cal want to trade for some BLC (2) or Varget?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just load about 10 rounds with 4198 and try them. I would bet you a buck it works fine. I think the original stick powder was 4198 or 3031 before the govt switched to the ball powder that gunked up the M-16.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Have you got Benchmark? - that's sweet in a 223 - I use 24 gr with a 55gr bullet (it's the start load) and have never bothered to move from there.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a lot of Bal-c2 then went with WCC844 back the I brought kegs of it for less then 8 bucks a pound. I like it was much as blc2.

To bad your not close I have some I trade.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An appropriate load of 4198 will work, as will RL-15. Neither would be my first choice for the .223, but for most AR-15-type shooting they'll do fine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys!

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Just load about 10 rounds with 4198 and try them. I would bet you a buck it works fine. I think the original stick powder was 4198 or 3031 before the govt switched to the ball powder that gunked up the M-16.

Wrong, the original stick powder was IMR 4475 and IMR 8202. The government wasn't satisfied with velocity and pressure and the switch was made to Winchester ball powder. What gunked up the rife was at first Winchester had too much Calcium in the powder. It was used to extend shelf life. Later when it was greatly reduced the powder was fine. Another problem was that McNamara wouldn't spring for chrome lining of the chamber and barrel which he was told was needed. On top of that the rifle was first issued without cleaning instructions or equipment as they were told it was a "wonder" rifle.

4198 is a powder that will work very well in the 223.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I loaded 20 gr of 4198 under 55 gr Sierra HP. Everything cycled fine.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Can you find some CFE223, it is doing very well for me in the 223/556 and it is shooting some one hole three shot groups for me in the 6.5 Grendel.

Steve E............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote