Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reload tips .458Wm
 Login/Join

posted
I´ve been watching this forum for a time and i think this is VERY good forum also it seems that here is many experts what comes reloading.
thumb
Thats why i turn to you - here´s my problem:
i need some tips /facts for reload my.458WM, "equipments" are next:

Rifle: CZ 550 Mag
Bullet: Rhino 485gr (moly)
Powder: Vihtavuori N135
Cartridge lenght: 84mm
CRYBABY
Could some one help me with this, maybe some one who has Quick Load can help...

Hunter from Finland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jah
First measure your magazine length and subtract 0.25mm. This is the maximum COL that will function in your magazine. Now chamber a long seated bullet in your rifle using the bolt to seat the bullet to a maximum lenght for this bullet in your rifle chamber, subtract 1.00 mm from this lenght and this is your maximum chamber length for this bullet. Compare the two length and uses the shorter lenght. This is usually the magazine length (vs the chamber length). Make your ammo no longer that this length, shorter is ok. But try to keep the COL as long as you can. Lube the case O.D. and mouth and full length resize. Then flare the mouth very slightly just enought to accept a bullet base to start into the mouth. Clean the case and mouth with a cotton cloth to remove any lube. Tumble to clean if you want also. Prime the case with WLRM or other hot primer. Put desired powder charge into case. Seat bullet to predetermined length above or to the cannalure and crimp the mouth into the cannalure. Check COL and record charge, primer and bullet. I like to make 3 rounds with the same chage of powder, then another 3 rds with one grain more powder, etc. So I end up with 5 groups of 3 rounds that are different by one grain of powder. Test fire these groups at range to determine the speed and group size. I usually like to accept the tightest group and load my next box of ammo useing that charge of powder. In your case using N135 powder and a 485 grain bullet I would load 3 charges each of 68, 69, 70, 71, & 72 grains of powder. According to the Hornady manual, max. load is 76 grs. Test fire the lower charges and work up in powder weight looking for any signs of excess pressure. Find the load that shoots the tightest group and your set for that bullet. I like to shoot test loads through a chronograph to verify the speed and look for pressure using the speed. I would have to look it up but I would guess that 2200 to 2300ft/sec. would be max. speed. I have never loaded N135 powder. So I have no test data to give you. I hope this helps and gets you started.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB: yes, i think this help me to start - Thank´s!

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
What game are you going to use your 458 Win on?

I have some load data!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HI Alaska bush man!

Here in Finland i hunt elks, so, bullet need to open quickly because elk has quite thin skin, you know. It would be nice if you could send some data for reloading

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In the 458 Win the 350 grain is my choice with IMR 4198 @ 68.0 with Fed 210 Primers in Win Cases. The Barnes 350 X bullet is excellent as well as the 350 Woodleigh RN. The 350 X bullet is what I use the most.

I crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.....give this load a try. You can also use this load with the Speer 350 FN if bullet cost is a factor.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote