Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static, please help
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all I am new to reloading and i just got my new rcbs reloading kit. There is a problem with static electricity builing up in my powder dispenser. What can I do to get rid of the static. Thanks. By the way this an awesome forum.

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
Take a dryer fabric softener sheet; i.e. Bounce, etc. and wipe out the inside of the tube with it. This will help to eliminate static buildup. Keep one handy to use if static builds up again. I usually do this evertime I change powder. By the way, welcome to the bottomless money pit of reloading Big Grin. You made a great choice to start off with the RCBS master kit. That's what I started with about 15 yrs. ago.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
That's a problem that I've not encountered to any great degree. Maybe I've been lucky, the reloading bench or reloading machine was well gounded or well isolated.
You raised a question that I'd like to see an answer to, if there's a good way to ground the table, or at least the spot where the powder measure goes.
I, like you, look forward to this.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have heard of people washing the dispenser with soap and water. Does this work? I would try it but i would be afraid that something might rust. Would it be okay to wash it with soap and water and then dry it with a hair-dryer or would the hair dryer cause more static? I love the rcbs kit, and i have spent so much more in supplies but it is well worth it.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Drier sheets work and are the easiest to use.
I think most dispensers are aluminum or brass, not steel and a bit of water shouldn`t hurt. I wash plastic funnels, ect, in dish soap and it works to cut down on static for me.
Adding a bit of humidity to the air also helps. Winter is a dry time of year in a lot of the country and may be contributing to your troubles. If you have a stove or other means of putting some moisture in your loading room you might try it, it won`t take much.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arkypete...

Grounding is easy, but can be dangerous if done incorrectly, and probably won't be too helpful.

If you really want to ground things on your bench, you get a "grounding mat" for an electronics workbench, and tie it to a water pipe through a 1 megohm resistor. If you ground directly, (no resistor), then you can get a real zap when you discharge, and that is dangerous around powder and primers.

If you live in a humid area, you'll have far less of a problem than we do here in a dry area. For about $35, you can get an ultrasonic humidifier, and run that in your reloading room. Ol' Joe is right: that does a lot for static.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote