New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always used CCI or Federal primers. However during the big shortage I was forced to buy some Remington primers. I notice they fit loose in the primer pockets of brass that the other primers fit fine in. As a safe guard I have started putting a touch of finger nail polish over them to assure they don't back out under recoil. It has worked and as soon as they are gone the better, However I wonder if anyone else has this issue?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded about a ton of their BR primers (7 1/2 SR BR) w/o a problem. They and CCI BR4 and 400s fit into the same hole.
It's been years since I used any Remington LR primers but I don't recall any problems.
All three of the SR primers mike at the same diameter: .175"

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notice they fit loose in the primer pockets of brass that the other primers fit fine in.

Interesting, I can’t remember any problems with Remington primers (6 ½, 7 ½, 9 ½, and 9 1/2M) not fitting the primer pocket on cases that were new or cases I didn’t get carried away with the pressure.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
What caliber and load are you having the problem with ? one or many?
I use remington exclusively for my hunting loads and have not experienced and loose primers.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really notice it with LR primers in Federal .308 brass. This is used brass but not over used and CCI primers fit fine. I know I stretched the primer pockets on some .257AI brass once with a hot rod load. CCI primers were even loose in those but this is different.

I am actually comparing the same load with both Remington and CCI primers to see if one shoots better and I can really feel the difference when seating the primers between the two.

I have less that 1000 LR primers left so once they are gone it will no longer be a problem. But I was just curious so I thought I would ask.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Did you measure any of the primers and compare them to the cci?
for me most of the issues i have had with primers can be traced back to something I did to the brass.
My 25/06 will show some stretch in the pockets after a couple firings due to max loads some brass was worse than others.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to glue in your primers. As long as the case holds the primers, the primers will expand to fill the primer pocket when they are fired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primer diameters differ slightly. See the differences here:

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

It shows the Remington primers are just a tad smaller. This would be the difference in tension I feel. It don't take long to touch a bit of nail polish on top of them and it also helps weather proof them. I will just do this till I use them all.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

It shows the Remington primers are just a tad smaller. This would be the difference in tension I feel. It don't take long to touch a bit of nail polish on top of them and it also helps weather proof them. I will just do this till I use them all.

Yup.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There is a little tolerance in primers and brass that can stack at times and show up as slightly loose primers or tight ones. I once had a brick of CCI LR that I actually deformed with the pressure it took to get them in the pocket on some 30-06 Winchester brass. WLR and Federals fit in there just fine, and the large CCIs went right in some 7-08 Remington brand brass with no problem.
try them in another lot/brand of brass and you`ll probably be able to use them

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....Besides, Federal brass is known to have (or develop) primer pockets on the loose side. So with a slightly loose pocket, using a slightly smaller primer, you might notice the effect, which would otherwise have gone unnoticed, had just one component been different.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit using remington primers because i experienced to much quality control problems with them. they were consistant sized and even batch to batch the primers werent consistant in my loads.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the primer shortage about 2 years ago, I found some Rem 7 1/2 BR primers and bought them.
I spent a lot of time with different loads for the 222, 223, and 222 Mag, and never had an accuracy problem with any of them.
Before the Benchrest crowd started using Fed 205M's, Rem 7 1/2 BR primers were the primer of choice for all of those guys, me included as I shot back in the 1970's with them.
I see no degredation in performance with Rem 7 1/2 since that time. I got some exceptional accurace with them too, recently testing TAC specifically.
100 yard group shot last summer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of Remington 7 1/2s over the years and never had any problems of any kind.
Excellent accuracy too.
Could it be the brass is tired?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
I've used a lot of Remington 7 1/2s over the years and never had any problems of any kind.
Excellent accuracy too.
Could it be the brass is tired?

Stepchild

If it is tired it is only tired of Remington primers because CCI fit fine.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I had with Remington primers was years ago in Remington loaded 7.62x39 the small rifle primers in that ammuntion were too soft had caused several slam fires in my SKS.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

I love this!!!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use lots of them no trouble at all

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote