New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer problems anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone else been having any issues or problems with primers lately?
About a year or two ago I had a defective lot of Winchester Large Rifle primers that would blow out at the edge of the cup. Some wouldn't go off. Also had some Rem.9-1/2s that were taller than the primers pockets and wouldn't seat below the case face. I never had that problem before with any other brand of primers.

Now I've got some Remington 9-1/2 primers that are blowing out at the edge of the cup and putting a divot on the face of the case and my bolt. And no there is no excessive pressure as the primers are not flattening. Some of the anvils are even falling out of the cup on new ones.
(I am wondering where the manufacturers are getting their raw materials from? I've been noticing over the past several years that there is more and more metallurgy problems cropping up with different things)

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As with any mass produced item there can be batches that have trouble. Contact remington they most likely will replace the ones you have.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Winchester WLRP and the WLRMP and some CCI, Magtech, and some others in small pistol, large pistol, and small rifle primers and have never had a problem with any of them. What I am trying to figure out is how a primer would "put a divot on the face of the case". I think you have more wrong than defective primers, but I don't know what. Maybe someone else has had similar issues will chime in.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rae59 Blowing out at the edge of the primer but the primers are not flattening. Sounds to me like you may have some cases that have been subjected to pretty high pressure and the primer pockets have expanded. With the primer pockets expanded (and it doesn't take much) you have a poor seal between the primer and the primer pocket. If a little gas leaks past it acts like a miniature cutting torch and etchs the face of your bolt. I would suggest you try some brand new cases and I think your problem will go away. If you have cases that the primer pockets have expanded on they are scrap. Also remember flattened primers and slight cratering around firing pins are just indicators of high pressure. Some rifles disguise these signs of pressure.Can you share what load is doing this? ie/ calibre, type of powder, how many grs, bullet weight?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking much the same as snowman. I found that if I used Norma cases, for example, they were softer than Winchester, for example and my regular load for my rounds of Win would create loose pockets in the Norma cases. I never ran any of the loads above book max, but it happened in my 308 with Re15 powder. Never had the issue with Win or Rem cases.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had a bad batch of Win 209 (shotshell) primers.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Rae59 Blowing out at the edge of the primer but the primers are not flattening. Sounds to me like you may have some cases that have been subjected to pretty high pressure and the primer pockets have expanded. With the primer pockets expanded (and it doesn't take much) you have a poor seal between the primer and the primer pocket. If a little gas leaks past it acts like a miniature cutting torch and etchs the face of your bolt. I would suggest you try some brand new cases and I think your problem will go away. If you have cases that the primer pockets have expanded on they are scrap. Also remember flattened primers and slight cratering around firing pins are just indicators of high pressure. Some rifles disguise these signs of pressure.Can you share what load is doing this? ie/ calibre, type of powder, how many grs, bullet weight?

Let's try this again.

The primer pockets are VERY tight and have not been subjected to any high pressure.
The "primer" cup is blowing out AT THE CORNER or EDGE where it makes a 90 degree turn. The gas then leaks out at this point and gas cuts the corner of the primer pocket into the face of the case and sometimes the face of the bolt.
THERE IS NO GAS CUTTING ALONG THE SIDE OF THE PRIMER OR PRIMER POCKET EMINATING FROM THE PRIMER HOLE....COMPRENDE? These same cases are and have been re-used without issue as a matter of fact several times since.
This has happened in a 30-06, 250 Savage, and recently in a 8mm Mauser. All but one were under any max. you can dream up.
It is a indication of the cup either becoming thin or seperating at the corner when it was stamped out. In other words a defective STAMP and/or metal.

It recently happened with a 8X57 and 47 grains of IMR 4895 pushing a 175 gr. Sierra PH with 4 times fired Winchester brass and the pockets are still VERY snug!

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say switch to a different lot of primers or even to a different brand. I have never had that happen but I did have another brand crack in the bottom of the firing pin indent with mild loads.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you should do Rae. But here is what I would TRY to do if I was in your situation.

1. Photograph some of the failed primers while they are still in the fired cases. Then photograph a few after they are removed from the cases.

2. Contact Remington Customer Services and get the name of a person there to whom I should send copies of the photos, together with their e-mail or Fax address.

3. Send copies of the picture(s) to them, together with complete information as to exactly what loads were used.

4. Ask for their advice and assistance.

Good luck in identifying and/or resolving the problem.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago I bought a 1000 Federal 210s and a 1000 215s. They have been stored in my basement and not exposed to any oil or grease or abnormal temperatures. All during this time I have been using the 210s with out problems of any kind.

About 3 weeks ago I started using the 215s working up a load for a 7MM and started having problems. Out of 39 primers 3 of them did not ignite and 1 had a hang fire, click-bang. I bought 200 more 215s and finished up the load developement without further problems.

I wrote Federal an E mail informing them of these problems about a week ago but haven't heard anything from them as of yet.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote