Find
Notify
Tools

reloading date differences
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted
I printed off IMR reloading data last nught to go with other data I have for 223. It is all tested in a 24 inch barrell with a different twist rate than my rifle. Does it matter as far as reloading and doing it safelly. I dont know if it would cause any issues with ppressure of the like. Thanks

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Your results (velocity) will be different but pressure shouldn't vary enough to matter.
I would say that all of the loads that IMR publishes (excluding the typos and such) will be safe in every modern production gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Everything makes a difference, and don't let anyone tell you any differently.

However, if you do as you are supposed to do, start at the bottom and work-up gradually, you will find out when you have reached the "twilight zone" of pressure.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously Steve knows, and probably said enough, but if your twist rate is faster pressure should be higher and vice versa. I think Fjold is also right, that the data form IMR would be good for a modern rifle of that caliber, I think your chamber dimensions would be more critical than the twist--but that's for more experienced folks here than me to say,

Bottom Line--Steve said it--work up from min and you'll figure it out....

Good Luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote