New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Room Ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally get to start building my reloading room. I've got a 10x12' foot unfinished room in the basement of my new house. I'm looking for ideas on what you all have done with your rooms. My last one was also my bedroom, so Space was very limited and I was really cramped. I'm thinking about a bench along the 10' wall and a lockable cabinet in the closet for powders and primers. What I'm not sure about is bench height, seeing the powder scale evenly and using the press comfortably. I'd like to hear what you've done. what you've liked, and what you didn't. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 1/2" car garage, so the "half" became my reloading room. I bought kitchen cabinets from Home Depot & put a 2x12 top on it. I like to work standing up, but you can also get a bar stool if you like to sit. Sears work benches also work well.
I have a Dillon progressive, RCBS Master mounted to the bench. My powder scle is on a shelf betweeb the (2) presses a foot or so above the bench. Above that I have cabinets for powder storage. Below I have bullets & misc. & the drawers are great for primers, dies, etc.
Just about anything goes in a setup as large as you have. In days gone by, I had a setup in a coat closet, now I'm spoiled! Good luck w/ your porject.

[ 02-10-2003, 06:14: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A FEW YRS BACK I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE BACKLESS COMPUTER CHAIRS TO PUT BY MY LOADING BENCH. IT'S GREAT YOU CAN SIT ON IT WITH YOUR KNEES ON PADDED KNEE PART AN ROLL IT ROUND ON THE WHEELS. IT'S A HELL OF LOT BETTER THAN STANDING UP AT THE BENCH FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. I'D RECOMEND ONE OF THOSE TO ANYONE WHO RELOADS. I EVEN GOT MY FRIEND ONE FOR X MAS THAT YR.

THE SECOND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
First I'd get a really comfortable desk/office chair on caster wheels. Then I'd get some adjustable shelving and mount it to the wall temporarily. I'd mount my rockchucker on a shelf and adjust it up and down until it was ergonomically perfect and comfortable when I'm sitting on my chair. Then I would build my bench at that measured height, and re-install my shelving above the bench. And I would make sure I had some electrical outlets above the bench surface for lights, scale, tumbler,radio etc...

If you use an electronic scale, keep the bench away from the heat/ac duct as airflow can cause false readings on the scale.

Good luck

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a email showing my setup. Russ

Posts: 185 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The best addition I have made to my room is to put in a second bench along an adjacent wall. It gives me a place to do cleaning light repairs etc. without cluttering up the bench I'm trying to reload on. Really helps keep the reloading bench organized.

REM

Posts: 6 | Location: N.W.Mo | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
One thing you don't want is a carpet!! The one in my reloading room is a mess, not to mention all the primers that get stuck in it! [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My reloading room is in the basement also. It is about 12X12. I made a work bench, that is comfortable for my height for reloading, sitting down. It has two permanently mounted presses on it, and can have two other mounted when needed. There is another bench that is at comfortable standing height. It is for cleaning guns and brass prep. It is carpeted and the carpet can be taken off and replaced when necessary. The reason it is carpeted is the brass won't roll off on to the floor or anything like that.The low bench is not carpeted for ease of clean up if anything gets spilled. The floor is carpeted because if anything is dropped it won't go bang, or break. I have a comfortable sitting chair for the reloading height bench, and a bar stool type chair for the high table. For storage there is a shelf under the high table, and storage on the floor under the low table. I have also put in a used dresser to store things in, and a set of built in shelves for books. One bench is 10 feet long the other is 8 feet long. Plenty of room. For lighting there are plenty of fluorescent lights. The walls that enclose it are made from 2X4's with T-1-11 plywood.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheer up Reloaderman
One of these days when your carpet can't possibly hold any more powder, you can drag it out into the street on the Forth of July, light it, and drive the neighbor kids wild! [Big Grin]

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
I sit in a chair when I reload so I made the table low so I could check for powder in cases. I made a table 4 foot x 4 foot. also I always keep it locked unless I am in it. Good light is a must. remember you will buy more stuff as time goes bye. Wish I could post a PIC i have 3 progressive presses on that table and 4 single stages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a great spot to set up.
I have changed my bench twice and have only been reloading for less than a year. -- Keep trying to improve.
Now it is Counter top height(36")and works well standing or sitting on a 30" bar stool.
Mounted my big Redding press permanent and had a small single stage mounted on the left corner for de-capping. This seamed to constricting for other activites. so I mounted the small single stage on a 6"X8" piece of wood and clamp it on when I use it- much better option.
I put two shelves above it - One @12" above top has powder thrower mounted on it and scale is very easy to read at that height.
Good Luck and Good Loading.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a sheet on rods to curtain off the bench from the decorated part of my room.

No women (that don't hunt) are allowed, hence I call it the TESTOSTEROOM.

[ 02-12-2003, 17:01: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'm currently working on the new space in my garage. Got lucky when we bought it and got a 4 car garage. With wood working equipment I decided to limit the reloading/cleaning room to 10 x 12. My main workbench is an old farmhouse style dining table, 36 x 60" which was being thrown away. I built a 2 level set of shelves along the back to everything. One set of shelves is 16" high and designed so I can add a locking door for powder storage, lower multiple shelves for bullets, primers, loaded ammo, dies, etc. I'm also building a small stand for the scale to keep it at eye level when sitting, I used one of the matching chairs and have just added a set of casters so it rolls. Along the adjacent wall I have a folding steel workbench which I bought years ago at Sams for about $40. It's rigidly mounted to the wall and can be folded up when not in use, work platform size is 24 x 48, mounted for work height of 36". It has a built in top shelf where I store all the cleaning supplies. I've only got one single stage press mounted directly to the work table but their is plenty of room to add new toys in the future.

Now I have to get busy and finish it before summer, I still haven't paneled and insulated the walls, have to put a wall mounted A/C unit in and epoxy paint the concrete floor.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought several 6 ft high cabinets from Home Depot and assembled them to hold everything, plus I have a locking file cabinet for all my dies and expensive stuff.

My reloading bench is something I designed and built out of 2x4 & 2x6. It is about 3' wide and probably not over 5' deep, including the attached bench seat. Everything is bolted together with countersunk stove bolts and the way the bench is attached across all legs of the thing it is locked together rock solid. No way anything can give as you are working against your own weight. Hell for stout. Will post pics if anyone wants to see the thing.

Probably the best advice I can give anyone is ALWAYS put a steel plate under your reloading press and bolt THRU this press to your bench. The addition of the steel plate spreads the stress and strain of the press over a huge area and has the effect of multiplying the power of your press. The way many presses are mounted half of the loader's energy often goes into flexing and bending his loading surface. Total waste of energy! You won't believe the difference this simple steel plate can have on your reloading. A 1/4" 12" x 12" plate is plenty. I just went to the scrap metal yard and bought a couple of scraps for my presses.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I'm a bachelor so I use my entire kitchen for my gunsmithing and reloading. I c-clamped 2x6 boards to the table that are as long as the table is wide (a clamp on each end) and can get several presses on the table. Then I took the base of a coctail table, added a heavy wooden top, and was able to mount three presses, a vise, and a luber-sizer to it; it can be moved around as neded. Using the table top mounts for powder measures (RCBS) I attached them to a heavy piece of aluminum bar, drilled a 7/8 inch hole in the center of the bar, and bolted the H shaped stand to a powder measure stand. This gives me one mount that holds four powder measures. I can use my kitchen counter for sorting brass, doing my reloading book-keeping, cleaning guns, etc. As for food, I can eat directly out of the refrigerator or take it into my living room just so long as it doesn't get in the way of the reloading and gunsmithing supplies. When chicks come over to the house they're always impressed to find my tumbler buzzing along, the counter covered with patches and rags, the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the air, and the sink full of dirty brass soaking in vinegar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by knightkrawler00:
I'm thinking about a bench along the 10' wall...

Funny as it sounds, you may want to consider an 8' bench, or a 10' bench on the 12' wall. Sometimes an open end and corner is useful, particularly if you will be mounting a vise.

quote:
Originally posted by knightkrawler00:
...and a lockable cabinet in the closet for powders and primers...

I've been told to keep them separately. If you don't care much what those old women say about storing things safely, never mind. If you do, you may want to incorporate an obvious place away from the benchfor friends to use the ashtray or sit their beer cans (or other things that tend to get used as ashtrays.

If you like to stand up, 36" to 40" is good, depending on your height. I'd try clamping your press to yuor wife's kitchen counter and swing the handle a few times. You can vary the height in 1.25" incrememts using 2x4 scrap until the heigt suits you.

You might consider a shelf above the bench, or a separate bench, for the powder scale. This will help to isolate the sensitive scale from the mechanical vibrations your press produces.

I like having the bench bolted to the wall or floor so it doesn't scoot around. When I had my RL550 mounted on a small table, I needed to pull back on the bullet tray every time I pushed the handle up and back (priming stroke). Otherwise, the little table banged into the wall.

Good luck, and I hope you post pictures.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you install florescent lights above your reloading area, be sure to cover the tubes with a clear plastic sleeve. You don't want shattered tube fragments getting anywhere near your reloading powder. As far as floor coverings, I like the rubber interlocking 'honeycomb' mats sold at Home Depot. They are easy on the feet and easy to clean.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help, and thanks to those who sent pictures. I lucked out on benches. My work is remodeling the front office area, and I was able to get the old cashier's desk. It's counter height in the shape of an "L", 5' for each leg. My father in law gave me an old corner bar and chairs that will work for cleaning and working on guns. Everything will start going together Monday, and hopefully I will be setup by the weekend. I'll take some before and afters and try to post them here.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
"There is no try, only do or do not, young Jedi reloader!"

Yo!
Duh!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had room to build a strong room on the end of my garage in double brick, steel entry door and barred window, dead locks and alarm system.
Two main benches about 12` long one for cleaning and fiddling and other with 2" thick hardwood top with 3 loading presses set up, and seperate shelf bolted to the wall at eye level for scales above the load bench. bolted down gun safe holds 20 rilfes and sepertate ammo safe holds powder and primers.
Computer is set up on end of the cleaning bench and beside that a handy beer fridge (after reloading guys) my misses is banned from entry but I allow my dog to come in anytime never get any nagging that way [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ...Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote