Notify
Tools

Can't Get 338 Encore Action to Lock Up
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted
Hi,
OK fellows here is the situation. Brand new 338 win mag Encore prohunter barrel. Brand new sized with RCBS dies 338 win mag brass. Dies were bought with barrel (used) and had smaller caliber expander ball when purchased. We recieved a new 338 expander ball from RCBS and it has been installed.I mention this because it seems very odd to me. However even with expander assembly removed, sizer die will not resize enough for action to close. Trying to get proper head space. Even when ran full length into sizer (yes it is fl sizer) action will not close and lock. Locks easily with no round in chamber. If we keep closing sharply til it locks, hammer will not cock. We do not have factory loaded ammo to see if it works. Any suggestions will be appreciated?

I have never loaded for a magnum caliber before and this is my first attempt with an Encore. I have been loading for 25 years for a Contender.

Thanks
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure the depth of the belt recess, with the "tail" of your caliper.
Now measure the "thickness" of the belt, from the case head to the front of the belt.
Normaly the belt is some (IIRC) .003-.010 shorter than the recess

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
Can't get a real good measurement but thickness of belt seems to be the same as recess. Maybe a very slight bit longer. I am not the best with calipers. I took a case and rubbed the primer end on a file. Removed a little of the case. Once I did this the action locked and the trigger cocked.Does this help with identifying my problem? I have also noticed when I insert a case the belt hits the extractor and must be pushed pass it. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help,
Doug

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Took the barrel off and tried several different lots & brands of cases. All protruded to far past the back of the barrel. Belt is hitting recess. We are packaging barrel to return to TC. It has never been fired so we are going to let them handle it.
Thanks for all the input,
Doug