Notify
Tools

Re: 300 ultra mag versatility.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Quote:

HOWEVER, I think there are two ingredients that are required for reduced loading to be the success you want it to be.

2) You need to be able to do your reloading while shooting so as to experiment.

I'm not disagreeing with you, exactly. But I have to respond to your 2nd requirement to reduced loads. I've played with reduced loads for some time without reloading at the range. In fact I reload at a friend's house rather than at home.

It might take a little longer to hit a winner, but I had to say this so that it doesn't discourage anyone from starting soft loads, or even reloading.

All that said, your first point is certainly true, but if Kazoo is here and asking questions he probably qualifies. And as for the initial question, I love my 300WinMag and would recommend that over the RUM or WSM. The WSM would be my 2nd choice. The RUM, well I'd get a bigger caliber instead.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to what you might hunt out West or in Ak that would require more than a 30-06? If you need more than 30-06,to me the answer is not a faster .30 it's a bigger bore. Then again I figure you have to leave North America before this need arises.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im in the same boat as AAW IMHO downloading the RUM would kinda defeat the purpose of getting one. The WSM would suit your interest just fine!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Kazoo wants to have the pluses that go with 30/06 through to 300 WSM ballistics but at the same time know he can hit the turbo charger button!!!

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike 375 summed it up. I just wanted there to be a reserve for when I wanted to up my velocities be it for mountain goats or to just sizzle some down range. I realize that I won't need that zip for 99% of my hunting so that's why I wondered about the practicality of downloading. I had my choice narrowed to a 300 win mag or the 300 wsm before the RUM entered my mind as a contender. So here's another question. If I plan on using 200 gr'ers, is the 300 win better because of the length than the 300 wsm? We sure are lucky to have all of the choices....

Posts: 68 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There isn't much that isn't available for the 300Win. Mag. I prefer a non-belted cartridge. That and actually having better accuracy with my WSM's is enough for me, I sold my last 300 Win. Mag about 6 weeks ago as I have been pleased enough with the 300 WSM.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO there is very little the 300RUM can do that the 300WM cannot do. You can easily get 3150fps+ from a 300WM with 180gr bullets. Faster with the 150gr and 165gr. The round can be very accurate. It is the preferred caliber for sniping out to 500yds by our armed forces. All this with moderate recoil. I see that some who post here favor the the short .300's. Their exterior ballistics are very close to an even older cartridge, the .300 H&H! Also, I don't think the 300RUM will ever have half the popularity of the Win Mag. BTW I feel that the 200 grainer at about 2900fps gets the most for the money in .308 caliber size. Just my 2... well maybe 3 cents worth.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At my local gun range they have a used gun rack that seems to be full of RUM rifles, especially the 300. One day I was getting ready to leave the range when a chubby shot guy came out with one of them and a box of factory ammo. Now the benches aren't set up well for heavy recoilers being too low even for this guy with the addition of several sand bags. He took the bench next to mine and asked me what I thought about his rifle. I said it looks nice and that it was a kicker. I offered him a couple of sand bags but he hunkered down low with the thin pad right on his collar bone. I said get a firm grip just as he pulled the trigger. Well I was hit with the muzzle blast,but was wearing hearing protection, he wasn't. Immediate profanity, comments; kicker hell! that hurt with traces of tears in his eyes he carried it back in to get his money back. After he left I went inside and told the guys about it and they said this has happened three times and they get a 20 dollar restocking fee.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The recoil of the ultramag cartridges seems to be greatly exagerated.I own two 300ultramags and although the recoil is stiff,it is not nearly as great as some people would have you believe unless the rifle is a lightweight.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geronomo:

I agree with you. I doubt many shooters shoot more at long range than me, esp with .30 calibers. You are right on the money.

To really get the most out of a RUM, you have to load it up to the fullest and practice at long range (like over 500 yards) or you may was well get a .30-06. It isn't like an extra 250 fps is going to magically add 300 yards of additional range.

Actually, the .300 RUM has about 40 yards of additional range over the .300 SAUM. Why do I say that? Because the wind drift of a .300 RUM at 700 yards is the same as the SAUM at 660, which I am willing to guess our questioner doesn't practice at anyway.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stubblejumper's comment on the recoil of the RUM being exagerated.One thing to remember when comparing recoil is that the RUM will have a 26" pipe.I have shot .300 Win Mags with 24" pipes that have as much "kick" as my .300RUM and had a lightweight Ruger in .280 that was just down right nasty to shoot.That being said everyone's recoil tolerance is different so what may be too much for one person; another person may be able to sit and shoot all afternoon.We could also get into the pros and cons of muzzle brakes...but that always gets ugly. Papershedder

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about all of the 30cal Mags are really good in the right rifle. The only real disadvantage I can see to the RUM (and the 300 Weatherby) is that you are wasting your time with less that a 26" barrel. The 300 Win and WSM work just fine in a 24". Pick a gun you like and be happy with any of them.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote