New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45acp wheel weight rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I finally got around to converting some free wheel weights to loaded rounds.

DSCF1123 by skipper_mso488, on Flickr

DSCF1122 by skipper_mso488, on Flickr

There are only 25 rounds in the box because I need to do the load work up. I loaded 25 with 4.5 grains of HP-38 and I loaded 25 with 4.8 grains. I'll shoot the 4.5 grain bullets and examine them then if everything looks good I'll shoot the 4.8. Hogdon lists 5.3 as maximum.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, the mold was a Lee TL452-230-2R

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45 acp is a great lead bullet round

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bullets, I use the Lee 200gr SWC mold and about 2 grs above minimum of Win 231 with fantastic results. Love the 45 with wheel weights in it.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Lee 190gr SWC mold that loves the wheelweights ahead of 4.9grs W231. FWIW the HP-38 and W231 are the same powders.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you need to break out the alox. 45 is great for casting. i love tumble lube bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did lube them with the 40/40/10 mix of LLA JPW and mineral spirits. I wiped off the lube from the nose of the bullet after I loaded them, I figured that part doesn't touch the barrell anyway and I didn't want that sticky stuff collecting dirt.