New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming Brass
 Login/Join

<Budweiser>
posted
Does anyone have a secret to trimming rifle brass? I load for several calibers and everytime I change my Lyman trimmer to a
different caliber. It is a workout to get the right length. I have made dummy rounds for every caliber and this gets me in the ballpark,but it is not exact.
Thanks for the Help in Advance
Straight Shooting
Budweiser2

<reload>
posted
The secret to trimming rifle brass may be the equipment! depending on what you want to spend for equipment or work out your own scheme to get the right length. For accuracy all your brass for each caliber should be the same length. First off a good caliper is a good start. Second wilson makes a great cartridge case gage, it will give over all length and headspace, not necessary but helps. I haven't used Lyman, but have three forster for both trimming and outside neck turning and they seem to be easy to adjust. If you are to trim to 2.045 then if you get close or less than that you should be O.K., but have them all the same. the rifles will vary in the size of the chamber so if you shoot the same reloads in different rifles your cases will be different and they will grow different, If you shoot the reloads in the same rifle than I would neck size and your brass will be more accurate and not grow as much or wear out as quick. If you have measured a fired case at the neck and a resized case at the neck you will get a idea how much you are working your brass. Could say more, but hope this helps a little. Good Luck

<George Capriola>
posted
My secret is to retire that Lyman trimmer and get a Forster! The Forster is pretty fast setting up, and never changes settings. The Lyman was always an adventure...
Regards, George.

<Powderman>
posted
Quick tip for setting up a case trimmer:

Trim one case to the exact length you want. Then, put it away. The next time you change calibers, simply re-insert this case, and gently close the tool head down on to it. While maintaining firm pressure, tighten any index/positioning equipment, lock nuts, etc. You are now set to trim cases. Works for me, anyway!

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Powderman good tip!

Actually I'm saying that because that is what I do too. I also have used the lee trimmers. If you just reload for one caliber they work pretty good, but I always wanted to reverse how they work so you could chuck the cutter into a drill and then just leave it turning, and run the cases onto the moving cutter, instead of the other way around.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All case trimmers are nortoriously inaccurate, but close enough for gov. work, so forget exact...I make a dummy case for each caliber and keep them in the die box with the dies.....I use Forester and Wilson trimmers, but one trimer is as good as the other...

My double rifle and some big bores that require a crimp need to be more accurate, so I use a file trim die as that is the most accurate of all trimming operations and also the slowest.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
I'll have to disagree with Ray on the all trimmers are the same statement. I prefer the Wilson trimmer. The reason for that preference is that it cuts the neck at right angles to the centerline of the case very accurately which is important with a tight chamber or a tighter than SAAMI spec neck diameter in the barrel.

The Lee trimmer is OK but should be checked periodically as they wear out and can cut off of true. Also the pilot is fairly soft and after screwing it in tightly a few times the trimmer can actually cut into the pilot and alter the finished cut length.

I try to buy the most quality I can. It eliminates frustration in the long run.

<10point>
posted
I like my RCBS trimmer. My technique is always the same. I set the trimmer to a "trimmed to minumum" case and then back off a turn and a half.

It then seem's that the trimmer itself settle's in to cut me the perfect trim, its almost scary. I find it amazing what a guy can accomplish with one of these handtrimmer's. I just cut a bunch of 100 3006 brass case's to 2.484". Out of the 100 case's I over trimmed ONE....ONE!

It also helps if you keep your case lot together. That way your always trimming case's almost exactly the same. I think hand tool's are the best for reloading, the power ones just dont give you the "feel" for case exactness. Which will , in turn, prevent you from getting your best repeatable accuracy............good shooting.....10

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Capriola:
My secret is to retire that Lyman trimmer and get a Forster! The Forster is pretty fast setting up, and never changes settings. The Lyman was always an adventure...
Regards, George.

I may do that myself and my Lyman Universal is almost new.

The tiny allen head set screw that holds the pilot in, isn't nearly enough. The pilots always come loose, get stuck in the case neck, and pull out of the trimmer head.

Then, the tiny allen wrench for the set screw gets rounded off trying to torque the set screw down.

Additionally, the .30 pilot seems just a hair too big--it really sticks going into the case necks, and tends to score a line around the inside of the neck.

Finally, the handle always gives me a blister--not enough to hold on to, so the screw in the end of the knob rubs against my finger.

Does the Forster remedy these problems?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Forster trimmer is very accurate, Have three and use to for ourside neck trimming and to make things easier, have a power adapter for a cordless drill which make life simpler. It is like haveing a small lathe. If you do a lot of reloading then spend the money and get a good unit. It will pay you back in quality. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only guy here that trims brass once a blue moon ? I had a Pacific and a RCBS and hated them both. I spent so much time getting them set just right it almost drove me crazy. I sold the RCBS, but the Pacific out to pasture, and bought a set of Lee trimmers. I use them, when I am forced to, but I spend no time setting up. I love the Lee trimmer, and I know his products catch flack on this BB, but I am very happy with them. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rust,
I agree that most of the cut square enough but none of them cut accruately to lenth, they vari a great deal in thousands...How could they do otherwise when the brass itself varies in head thickness etc. and you have no means of getting everything square to the world, but like I said close is good enough..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I've gone the route of making master case-length dummies to aid in setting up my RCBS trimmer but its still a lot of work to fiddle around with it. After trimming 700 .223 cases my timmer has a groove in the crank-shaft. I think a RCBS case trim die (used with a file) is the way to go for large quantities of often used brass.

<JohnD>
posted
I made some bushings to fit over the shaft of my Forster trimmer. I leave the trimmer set for the 6BR and add bushings to go to .308, .30-06 and .270. It's a simple lathe project.

<BigBores>
posted
You could always go exotic, and get the Dillon motorized trimmer. They are expensive, but if you trim a LOT of the same caliber brass, it might be worth it?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I used to trim a lot. Then I measured the necks of my rifle. The same night, I unbolted the trimmer from my bench. I only have one rifle where I can even dream of coming close to the end of the neck with the brass. The rest of them the brass cracks long before it is too long for the chamber. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the LEE trimmers. I�m just ordering one for 9.3x62. They don�t need a dummy for that, only the lenght I want. Will doing a little researching and measure cartridges and then order.

For absolute square case mouths the LEE trimmer should be used with a power tool. Any wobbling will such be detected.

I�m also a fan of their factory crimp, but they need a dummy for that one to order. I wonder if I get the cases back??

Good shooting! h

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
got rid of lyman for reasons all have mentioned, and now go strictly with Lee. May not be the most accurate, but close enough for my limited trimming of various calibers.

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:

I�m also a fan of their factory crimp, but they need a dummy for that one to order. I wonder if I get the cases back??

Good shooting! h

Probably do. I sent them just one dummy, and got it back (crimped) with the die.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One vote here for the RCBS Trim-Pro. My first trimmer is/was a Forster. I hate the Forster's collet chuck, because so much sideways pressure is required while tightening the chuck. It gives me carpal tunnel pains doing 300 or so 30-06 cases. With the RCBS, you just push down on the handle to load a case and let up to clamp it. The RCBS came with a complete set of caseholders and pilots too.

I have not been trimming so much since I've been using an RCBS X-die to resize my 30-06 cases, and the RCBS trimmer mostly sits in its box on top of my permantently boxed Forster.

[This message has been edited by HenryC470 (edited 08-24-2001).]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahunter,

I'm with you, I too love the lee method which coupled with a drill is very easy. Maybe it doesn't hack it for benchrest but I've had no complaints.

I got Lee to make me a pilot for my 9.3x62 and I got the cases back. In fact I like Lee so much I got them to custom make me a full length die, neck sizer, bullets seating die and factory crimp. Results are very good.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracey with a Bob Jones Carbide head for mass producing service rifle ammo.

Lyman for the rest.

I may be looking at the forster soon though, my last adventure with a hundred .243 cases made me realize the collet is either wearing out or something sometimes it doesn't lock onto the case.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<DWL>
posted
My Forester seems to be fairly consistent on trim length. Probibly because unlike the Lymon and RCBS it doesant depend on consistent rim thickness for holding the case in the machine. It holds the case on the outer part of the rim. I would suggest extending locking handles for more leverage and use an adaptor with a cordless drill.

Doug

<jagtip>
posted
after trying a lathe type trimmer about 25 years ago and inventing a lot of new cuss words while using it,i gave it away and resolved to turn to file trim dies.no problems since.still don't understand why lathe trimmers are popular.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Budweiser,

Get a Wilson trimmer with a micrometer adjustment.

With this one all you have to do is just write down the reading for each cartridge.

We have used other trimmers before, and now use nothing but the Wilson.

You can get one from Sinclair International, there is a link to thier web site on our Links page.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<8mmJon>
posted
I use the Lee trimmer. No guess work involved. Just take your time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to get perfect trim is in a lathe....

All the trimmers are the same, I have to stick with that. They are all close enough for gov. work and I like the wilson..close is all thats required of this operaton..I use only file trim dies for the big doubles and rounds deserving of a crimp, so the crimps are all even...even these can be a several thousands off..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
i agree with Dutch. I have the sinclair inserts for ea caliber! It is amazing how little trimming is really needed once you find out how much throat you have in some guns. PLUS-it helps you measure wear on the throat over the years in those fast calibers.