Find
Notify
Tools

cheap factory ammo is better?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
I just got my new .243 win. in a Savage 16, s/s.I thought i would reload for it, though the factory Winchester ammo is pretty cheap per box. Turn's out the factory load's are out performing my reload's. I will give all info and see what everyone think's. Factory ammo is Win. super X, 100 gr. power-point. These are the stat's: 1" group @ 100 yd's. 2886 f.p.s. Reloaded stat's:
  • 100 gr. hornady bullet, 38gr.H-4350 powder, Rem.9.5 lr. primer. 2715 f.p.s., 2.300" group. 40 gr. of powder, 2813 fps. 1.9" group. 40.5 gr. powder(max according to hornady book) 2826fps. 1.646" group. It seem's that the reload's are slowly creeping up on the factory ammo, in fps. and group size. The thing is do you go past max, and look for pressure sign's, or start a complete new recipe.I can here my non-reloading buddie's now, "Why would you even bother reloading". I do enjoy reloading and that's why i do it. Any info would be appreciated, Thank's: Rick.
  •  
    Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I don't like to exceed max load unless I plan to closely inspect all of the cases after firing, and even then it gives me the creeps. According to my Speer's book, the max loads for 100gr. are all under 2900fps. That said, I always assume that factory ammo has a small margin for error on the low side and that going a bit over factory pressures in a good gun would be safe.

On the other hand, if group size is going up with speed, it makes sense to keep going up until it levels off, then play with headspacing and crimp. If the cheap factory loads are that much better than your reloads, I would try to replicate them as a baseline then work from that.

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron

"They were not killing each other under Saddam."-Saaed

Posts: 407 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fredj338
    posted Hide Post
    You just haven't found a set of components your bbl. likes. You are also lucky to find a factory load that shoots well for you. I load mostly for wildcat or limited factory rounds, like my .280, so I don't usually have a factory ammo comparison. My .280 is very accurate w/ several diff handloads but I did find one factory load I couldn't beat, the 160gr Speer Nitrex. Of course after I bought 3-4 boxes, they discontinue it. Just one example of why you should handload, you can always reproduce your fav. loads.
    You may want to try a diff. bullet. Just one example; my 338-06 will not shoot any 225gr bullet well. I've tried several brands w/ mediocre results. Switch to 210grNP or 250gr anything, & the rifle is a 1" shooter. If you are stuck on the Hornady, try another powder in the same burn rate, like RL19 or even IMR41831. Also try changing your OAL. You just need to experiment a bit, then again that means more shooting, but isn't that what we all want? beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Do not exceed maximums. If you want a magnum, rebarrel to 6mm-284! Seriously, do not exceed maximums. They are called maximums for many reasons.

You don't have enough data to form any conclusions. One factory load and one reload just don't tell you much about the rifle. 3 or 4 different factory loads could shoot considerably worse than the current load that you maybe just happened to purchase because it was $1.50 per box cheaper than the Remington.

Some rifles just don't shoot certain bullets or powders. You could switch from the 100 grain Hornady to the 100 grain Sierra and find a tack driver. Same with the powder. RL19 could be the ticket. Maybe it prefers 85 grain bullets.

Handloading is an evil mistress. I found a one hole load in my .30-06 with the first bullet and powder I tried. Still working on the .243, 4 bullets and three powders later! Several acceptable loads but not the one that magically makes the rifle super accurate.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Richard Wayne:
    I just got my new .243 win. in a Savage 16, s/s.I thought i would reload for it, though the factory Winchester ammo is pretty cheap per box. Turn's out the factory load's are out performing my reload's. I will give all info and see what everyone think's. Factory ammo is Win. super X, 100 gr. power-point. These are the stat's: 1" group @ 100 yd's. 2886 f.p.s. Reloaded stat's:
  • 100 gr. hornady bullet, 38gr.H-4350 powder, Rem.9.5 lr. primer. 2715 f.p.s., 2.300" group. 40 gr. of powder, 2813 fps. 1.9" group. 40.5 gr. powder(max according to hornady book) 2826fps. 1.646" group. It seem's that the reload's are slowly creeping up on the factory ammo, in fps. and group size. The thing is do you go past max, and look for pressure sign's, or start a complete new recipe.I can here my non-reloading buddie's now, "Why would you even bother reloading". I do enjoy reloading and that's why i do it. Any info would be appreciated, Thank's: Rick.

• Hello Richard,
    Your experience is not unique. The next trip to the range may reverse your findings though.
    One thing that I do though is use multiple sources of data for a given powder and bullet weight. That gives me a better feel for how sane the charge weights are. It also protects against typos in the manuals. I know of one manual with a typo where the data for 4320 is also used for 4350. Another consideration the level of mechanical precision your reloading technique and tools produce when you size and assemble the components. I don't know what dies and press you are using but it is possible that other tools will produce different results with the same components.
    I have used the Hornady bullet in my 6MM 700 Remington with 44 grains of AA4350. It is not a max load in my rifle and it gives 3003 FPS with groups that vary from 5/8" to 1".
    I have loaded for 5 different .243s. The heavy barreled rifles shot better. The hunting weight rifles shot about the same except for the Husqvarna. It stunk..about 1.25" to 1.5" groups.
    In 35 years I have never fired a factory round for either cartridge.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Richard Wayne
    posted Hide Post
    Thank's guy's for the info, i will just have to experiment with different powder and bullet's. Talk about typo error's, my lee die's came with a load chart for .243, and it show's max. h-4350 at 43 gr. no other book show's that much. Thank's again guy's: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    I too have a Savage 243 stainless left handed that only shoots the 80 grain winchesters semi ok 1.25inch average

I have tried reloading with 85gr sierra and 80 noslers using H4895-Varget-imr 4064-imr 4350 and nothing is as good as the 80gr winchesters.

one of us
    Picture of Richard Wayne
    posted Hide Post
    HMMM, seem's i'm not the only one that find's the factory load good. I have only 30 round's out of this new gun, and for a factory ammo to shoot 1" group's right out of the box, is going to take some fine reloading to beat that.I am using this gun for coyote and deer ( deer being under 200 yd's) I have other rifle's for deer and moose, justsomething different. I will be using strictly 100 gr. bullet's. I still will be reloading for it, but i see the factory load winning over unless i come up with a sweet reload. Rick.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Factory Win .22 Hornet 45gr HP, and cheap Win economy pack USA 46gr .223Rem can outdo anything I can reload. But my stuff is better tailored to what I want. Accuracy isn't everything. (but I can't believe I just wrote that.)

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Arminius
    posted Hide Post
    FIRST - I would try another bullet.

At the SAME time, I would read some "reloading for accuracy" ( adjusting dies )( Nosler manual ).

Second I would try another powder ( 4831, 414, 2700,... ).

Third I would buy RCBS dies, or Redding, or Foster and eventually with an in - line Bullet seater!

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Richard Wayne
    posted Hide Post
    Thank's Arminius, i definatelly will be trying different bullet's and powder. Thank's. God ONLY 10 week's to go for Moose hunt'n, better get busy on this coyote gun. Rick.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    it took me 1.5 years to come up with a load better than the whitebox 46 grain 223 load. my load is maybe 1/10 of an inch better in a five shot group on a consistent basis. that is some good factory ammo. some of that hotshot ammo is also great.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    My .243 Sako took 200 different reloads before I found what would shoot. It was super slow for the cartridge.
    I sold the gun!
    I never liked the cartridge, the .244 Remington was better. I don't like the .223, the .222 was better. I don't like the 22-250, the Swift was better. I feel there is a mismatch in the twist rates.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    243 Ruger 77 mk11
    this is the most accurate in my rifle
    bullet----sierra 70 gr, smk
    powder----imr 4064--42 grains
    3541 FPS
    10 shots one hole group

Posts: 25 | Location: terlton,Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of arkypete
    posted Hide Post
    Try this load. It worked for me 20 years ago very well, actually the most accurate load in my rifle.
    Speer 105 grain,
    39.5 grains of IMR 4350
    CCI mag LR primers
    This load would put at the bullet thru the same hole and the 105 round nose was even better.
    Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote