THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    9.3x74R Hornady 286gr Loads, suggestions, cautions?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R Hornady 286gr Loads, suggestions, cautions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rifle is a Ruger No.1, factory chambering, and I'm looking for a hunting load at factory type velocities (2300-2400 fps) for the Hornady 286 gr bullets I've got. I've not loaded for this one yet - still shooting Lapua 286 Mega factory stuff for the brass (so far the Mega's have not been as accurate as I want).

My plan is to either just neck size or partially resize only.

Powders on-hand that look likely are RL15 and IMR4350.

Anyone know what primers Lapua uses in their factory loads? If so, might as well start out with that if it's one of the common US LR types.

As I've not fooled with the 9.3 before I figured I'd see what special techniques or cautions I should be aware of.

Thanks. -WS

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have friends that shoot 4350, IMR, and H, and claim to be getting good accuracy. I shoot one a good bit, but prefer the 250 grain Accubonds. I use Vihtivori N135 for these, and have used IMR 4007sc in the past, with very good results as well. The 9.3X74 does not seem very particular about powder, just use whatever the reloading books have loads for, and you will usually get good results. I use a partial full length resize, and standard primers. I get a lot of nice cloverleafs, and the only surprise is how consitantly good the 9.3X74R shoots.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Thanks. Does your rifle require the bullet be seated somewhat longer than factory to achieve good accuracy? Nosler's manual suggest that for this round, and I've found most of my other bolt and single shot rifles generally respond to varying seating depths. The factory Lapua rounds are SAAMI spec but considerably shorter than I would seat them in the Ruger, which may be the accuracy issue.

I was planning to start with partial resizing as well, - pretty much thinking just to the base of the neck, which should still give plenty of bearing surface with the Hornadys intended use in a single shot. Thoughts?

Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote