Find
Notify
Tools

Polenta as tumbling media?
 Login/Join

Picture of Scarab
posted
Hey guys,
I've seen that most tumbling media appears to be ground/crushed corn cob or walnut shell.
Has anyone ever tried polenta as tumbling media?

I ask as it looks to be small, hard and pretty cheap.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Matt

Posts: 22 | Location: Parkes, NSW, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
You are talking a soft media. Clever thought. But unless you are adding roast veggie's, cream or stock, and some Romano. I would steer clear! I was and still am an Executive chef in my life. jp

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I agree it'd be soft. Petsmart or other pet shops have large cheap bags of crushed walnut shell thatare probably cheaper by the size.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I just noticed you are in Australia. I'm not sure what your large pet shop chains are. Here walnut shell is pretty cheap as bird cage litter.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Scarab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I just noticed you are in Australia. I'm not sure what your large pet shop chains are. Here walnut shell is pretty cheap as bird cage litter.

$30Aus for 4.5 kilos of walnut shell or $17Aus for polenta. That's why the idea.

Thanks guys. I've got some walnut shell so i'll go that first.
Cheers.

Posts: 22 | Location: Parkes, NSW, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try broken rice. Works great.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you add chese you will get cheese grits. Works for me.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the rice and it would not work for me. I buy the pet smart walnut.

sjadventures@cableone.net

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Rice, polenta, all too soft IMO. Check your local pet stores or a shop that does bead blasting or sand blasting. You can often get 25# bags of organic media for very cheap prices.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any kind of UNPROCESSED small grain (rice, wheat, sorghum, etc) works okay. Processed rice acutally works but leaves a coat of white starchy material on the cases. Haven't tried any, but my guess is that Guar would do a great job.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote