New
Find
Notify
Tools

bulging cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new rifle that apparently has a fat chamber. Once fired factory brass has a fair bulge above the case web, but it is not uniform the whole way around the circumference. So one side is bulged and the other side is almost flat across the pressure ring area. I have seen it before in 'other peoples rifles' but not my own. I'm a little worried about chambering the next time around, depending on the orientation of the case.
Is this a big deal or not, and do you have suggestions for dealing with it? Thanks.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS It is a bolt action .308

<MePlat>
posted
What you are describing is usual for cases. I only not seen it in a Freedom Arms revolver where the chambers are so tight that the cases expand almost none.
The larger the chamber and higher the pressure the more pronounced it is. Maybe your chamber was cut with a new reamer.
Don't worry about it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Andy,
This wasn't a savage by any chance was it? If it's so large it's bulging, (the chamber being out of round) send some FACTORY ammo fired in the chamber and the rifle to the maker, and have the barrel replaced. It's out fo spec.
Jeffe

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What maker??? I'd call the factory before I shot any more.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The rifle is a Browning Stainless Stalker. I bought it used, so not sure how that would sit with the factory.
Unexpanded area, case web adjacent to extractor groove, measures .4645" on brass from once fired factories (Win). The bulge just ahead of this measures .471" Maybe that is within spec; seems uniform the whole way around.
Rem brass is .467" at the web and also .471" above it. As I look at them now, it is the Winchester ammo that got my attention, apparently just because of the smaller factory brass dimension. Amazing how your eye and finger can pick up a few thousandths. Maybe I should buy 100 Rem cases and forget about it.
The rifle strings vertically over 2 MOA but holds windage within less than 1 MOA...so I think if I manage to get the bedding settled down it has potential to shoot okay.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me that the problem is undersized brass , not an oversized chamber.

Isn't the casehead diameter for .308 supposed to be .473"?

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
I have a rem788 in 243 that does this. I've got to agree with MePlat (and others) on this. It is
not unusual.

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote