New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 Mauser Verguerio
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
How much pressure could this rifle take? I want to reload for it but I'm worried about the seperate bolt head. Am I worring for nothing?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8056 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf-Nope, these were originally in a 6.5 caliber and then re-bored to 8mm Mauser which was carried on with Portugal's later aqusitions of 1937 and 1941 K98k contracts. I personally have never cycled a smoother action.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Bakes, Alf & befus,

I am not 100% sure about it, but I was convinced that the M.04 model (Vergueiro) (6.5x58) has only been converted to 7x57 for the Brasilian police ( a small batch) and later on (until 1940) to 7.92x57 (to match the calibre of the Mausers the Portuguese army was buying from Germany during WWII)??
Never heard of a 8x57 Mauser Vergueiro!

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
B. Martins
The 7.92X57 is the 8x57/8mm Mauser.
Heres a pic of the rifle, not the best picture.

As Befus said its very smooth and very accurate. I'm using Winchester factory rounds and the primers are backing out somewhat! I'm thinking this is head space?

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8056 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sooooo....anybody reload for one?

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Hi Bakes-I used 15 grains of Unique and a cast bullet effectively in a 1888 Commission rifle, which should be good for your Verguerio. American 8mm is very mild in the factory loadings for the older Commission rifles, and if you are experiencing primer problems with those loads I'd be very careful. The Unique load should be mild enough for it, and if you had any troubles with that I'd put it on the wall.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate.