THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Should the bushing in my bushing die be able to move when in the die?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should the bushing in my bushing die be able to move when in the die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Loading for my buddy's 300 Win Mag and 243. His 243 die allows the bushing to wiggle around in the die if you shake it. The 300 die has a little collar set where it won't let the bushing move.

I have a set of 338 Lapua Improved dies that let the bushing wiggle a bit.

I am thinking I need to little the bushings move a bit to "self-center", what do you guys think?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I have wondered the same. I had a set of 6mm Rem dies that were loose and I sent them back to RCBS and when the got back it was tight. I understand the self centering idea, but I would think you would want a perfectly centered sizer, to correct a case that was not centered. I realize this is a far shot as there will always be a little runout. Any other ideas?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The directions for my Redding S type bushing dies says that the bushing must be able to move when installed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The bushing will center itself around the collet when left just a litle bit loose (it should be heard to rattle lightly when shaking the die near one's ear).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Perfect, thanks guys!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes it should, I thought you had learned that!

Keep up the good work Try.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote