New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remmy 9 1/2 lr primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some information on these primers would be appreciated. I am trying to develop a load with these primers in a 308win using rl 15 and have trouble getting the extreme spread below 75 fps. I have never had that problem with any that combo of powder, bullet using cci or federal primers. is this common for remmy primers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 9 1/2 primers used to be the hands down favorite of the benchrest crowd but that has been many decades and dozens of fads ago.

Some primers and powders don't seem to do well together. With some other powder the 9 1/2's might best the other primers. So, to answer your question, no, high extreme spreads are not necessarily associated with Remington primers, but you might experience such spreads with certain loads.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How accurate is the load? Sometimes people get hung up on numbers instead of the final results.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some chronongraph figures, about five or six years ago, using CCI Standard Large Rifle and Remington 9 1/2 Standard Large Rifle.

Extreme spread with the CCI was about a good half of that with the identical lad but using Rem 9 1/2.

This was a 270 Winchester with, I forget, Reloader 22, H4831, and/or Vihtavouri N160.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing to write home about. the reason i want a small extreme spread is to limit the verticle string size when I use it as a practice load for FTR. Most practice will be between 600-900 meters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek. Just the answer I was looking for. I was a little concerned. This is the 1st time I've ever experienced anything over 60 fps in my life. Got my first crony back in 89 and used them ever since and never seen that large a spread. Group isn't good. 1 3/8". Going to use CCI primers.