THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    If Remington were to close I think brass would go sky high

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If Remington were to close I think brass would go sky high
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Remington is another American firearms company in big trouble.If they closed that would leave Winchester,starline and Norma making our brass.I always keep at least 500 rounds of brss for each caliber I reload for.I was wondering others thoughts if this does come to be.I hope it does not I like Remington brass for alot of my calibers.I have had problems with about a 5% rejection on their bulk brass.I think Norma is the best made brass but its very high priced and hard to find.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
dgr

Is remington rifles and ammo in the same branch or separate?

Norma, Lapua, RWS, Sako, Winchester, PMC, Starline, Hornady, Nosler, S&B and a few more that I can't think of right now. bewildered Future looks dark Roll Eyes

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that remington will stop making ammo and brass. This one area where they seem to do well.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
As far as I am concerned, Remington is doing very well.

I just received what supposed to be 200 Remington cases for a .220 Swift I am working-up a load for (this one is going to have a sporter barrel instead of a heavy barrel).

My plans are to use H-414 and the 55 grain Sierra Spitzer BT bullet and Remington 9-1/2 primer. But, on to Remington...

First of all, there were 214 cases and not 200. I don't think Norma or Lapua would put 7% more in a bag.

Secondly I de-burred the flash holes on all 214 cases and the total weight of the removed brass was less than 0.1 grain.

Then I did my full-length sizing on all 214 (from now on they get neck-sized only) and measured the length. They ranged from 2.194" to 2.197". They will all be trimmed to 2.194"

Now, when you get 7% more product than what you paid for, and when deburring the flash holes yields less than 0.1 grain of brass, and when the length of the 214 cases only varies by 0.003", and not a single case was bungled during packaging or shipping, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about Norma and Lapua brass (or the "new" Nosler brass)!

Oh, and the cost for those cases? $35 for what was supposed to be 200. (Norma would have cost me over $144.)

Can't beat all that with a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Norma cases are better but are they worth 5 times as much.The whole remington firearms company is in trouble ammo,brass and all.I have used more Remington brass than any other.They are the only company that can make the 357 maxium brass I use.Its drawn from 223 cases some way.I think starline will stick to mostly pistol calibers.I use Norma brass for my 338-378 Weatherby.You will have to use alot of pressure to mess up that brass.There are never any dents or bad brass.I have to use Remington brass for my 416 rem mag.Its very thing and usually has alot of dents and bad lips.I like winchester brass better than remington in my 338 win mag.I have pulled alot of rims on 30-06 remington brass lately.Its seems alot weaker than it use to be for some reason.I thought about a 338 Lapula but brass is expensive and hard to find.It is not that much better of a cartridge than the 338 remington ultra mag.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ricciardelli-

If Remington "gave" you 14 cases, it's because someone was fending off a Monday morning hangover and not that the company is generous.

I use both Remington and Winchester brass, but I much prefer Lapua over anything out there. It's just too bad it isn't available in all of the configurations I require.

With the Remchester stuff, I routinely cull 18-20 cases per hundred due to extreme weight variations, off-center flash holes, crushed or creased shoulders and/or necks along with other assorted ailments that can't be cured. When you figure the time required to get this brass to shooting condition and factor in the amount of culls, Lapau's slight extra cost is virtually offset. And I have never, ever had to cull a Lapua casing.

Granted, the Remchester stuff can be a common denominator for excellent accuracy as well, but the older I get, the more I am conscious of getting the best value for both my TIME and money.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, like I said, out of the "200" new cases with Remington on the headstamp, I finished with 214 that were not crushed, folded, creased or had off-center flash holes.

This has been my experience with Remington brass since the early 1960's.

Winchester, however, is a totally different story! The last three batches of Winchester brass I have pruchased has been total crap! And the bags have been short-changed.

My first choice of brass is always Remington (if I can get the number of cases I want, all with the same lot number).

Oh, does Remington brass have a long life? I have some cases that have been loaded over 25 times and they are still as good as new.

I guess that with MY old age (going on 64) I have not found a need for "premium" brass, "premium" bullets or "match" primers. Yet all my rifles manage to put 5 bullets in a group of less than 3/4" at 200 yards. Well, all of them .30 caliber and under...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I must agree with you about the long case life of Remington brass. From the survivors (after culling!), I have a number of batches that have seen 20+ loadings.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote