New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby Cast Bullet Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here have any cast bullet loads for the 416 Rigby? I am going to use the RCBS 350 gn gascheck bullet. I have seen a load posted in the archives that used 5744 powder. No mention of a filler being used. The load was 50 gns of powder. With such a big case as the Rigby it would seem that one would have to use a filler. What would be a good filler if one has to use one?

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot it quite a bit - never used a filler but I guess you could if you want to. I did use Mag primer.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
powders like 5744 and 2400 usually don't require a filler.
if you do use one to help with vertical stringing on the target.
i'd use a tuft of quilting batting,or the filling from a stuffed animal [that long stranded fluffy white stuff]
the filler MUST touch the powder and it MUST have some slight compression from the bullet.
you don't need to pack it in there like you are trying to stop a leak in your boat with it.
but using a bit too much is better than not enough.
you don't need any more than a standard primer to ignite 16-19 grs of powder.
and even a pistol primer will be reliable.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which rifle? My Ruger bolt gun has almost no throat which made loading my LBT bullets very difficult.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cgbach

My rifle is the Ruger Safari Magnum. It is the heavy as hell model. Avery large barrel, hell the hole in the barrel weighs three pounds!

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like mine, think it is 2nd generation??, band on bbl, long heavy bbl. I keep threatening to lengthen the throat as I can't load A frames out to full magazine length.
C.G.B.