New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage - a glorified jack handle!
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Remember, remington barrels are hammer forged around a reverse rifling rod. Savage barrels are drilled, and button rifled like Lilja, Douglas, and hart. They are rough. So they are not hand lapped like a premium barrle but nothing a box of Final Finish wouldn't cure. Won't hold their value, but Ruger sure won't either.

[This message has been edited by bigcountry (edited 02-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage wont hold it's value? What did a Savage 99 sell for in 1900? What is it worth today if it was in like new condition?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There are two things I like about the 110. It's accurate (my 7 mag aggregate with 130 gr. Matchkings is .5"). It is SAFE. If you ever rupture a case, pray that it will be in a Savage 110.

I also like the fact that you can rebarrel it yourself. Buy a $200 used rig, a $275 drop in barrel from Pac-Nor, a nice Mircrofit or Wenig after market stock, a Rifle Basix trigger and you have a $650 true custom rig that will outshoot anything twice the price. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep Savage rocks! The barrel nut allows you to set headspace easily, and the gas system is far better than a Reminigton's.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
GSF,

As far as the "feel" of the bolt, I was referring to that horrible CLUNK when you rotate the bolt downwards, and the horrible CLUNK when you lift the bolt to pull it backwards. Feels like absolute sh*t. If Kmart built a rifle, it would feel like that. The recievers look like they were machined with a rough flat file by hand. Like I said, they look/feel like someone made them in jr. high shop class. The only positive thing is the barrel. They are far more accurate than the price should allow!

I still might buy one for coyotes. 220 swift if they make one, 22-250 if they don't make the swift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotec, Savage Arms is not based in Canada? If you visit their website you might get an education. Savage is an american outfit. I don't know of any major rifel manufacturer in Canada!

Casey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage based in Canada?,don't think so. Aurther Savage setup shop in the US about a century ago.However Savage recently bought the Lakefield gun company in Canada.All of the "new" Savage 22 rimfires are actually "Lakefields" which have been sold in Canada for decades.I'm not sure if they are actually made in Canada.The only rifle company of any size in Canada was Cooey which was bought out by Winchester in '61.There was also the Ross Rifle Company(remember the 280 Ross?)which made a straight pull rifle.As for the Savage 110 and it's variants?Owned three different ones, a 22-250 heavy barrel,good shooter but poor extraction and ejection,junk synthetic stock,terrible trigger,get it to about 3 lbs and the safety wouldn't engage.Had a couple sporters in 270,feeding problems,sold 'em and have never had another and likely won't.Don't doubt that they don't shoot, just don't like the fit and feel of them.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This whole discussion just goes to show you that a quality barrel is 90% or more of the accuracy equation. Savage, while junky and clunky and lacking in aesthetics, pride of ownership or reliabilty for hard hunting, has a great quality barrel - - so it shoots well.

The Ruger, while attractive, has a complete piece of crap barrel, and moronic "bedding", and shoots accordingly.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Spaheaking of Sa'vage (with accent on the second syLABle) what's the best accuracy anyone's ever gotten out of their real cheepie, the 340? Has anyone ever "tricked" one out or seen such a aminal?

[This message has been edited by sonofagun (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in love with my Savage model 110. It shoots comsistantly under moa, and has shot 3 shot cloverleafs. Three shots at 3 deer this season, 3 deer on the ground. That is hard to beat.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by rembo:
...All of the "new" Savage 22 rimfires are actually "Lakefields" ...

Now, if we want to talk about crappy looking firearms, the Lakefields are on my short-short list... They're worth every penny, but they are really, really cheap...

My take on Savage is that they offer very accurate but not particularly good looking rifles for little money. Unlike Remington and Ruger, who sell overpriced barn door-missing rifles that actually look pretty good. It's up to the buyer to decide what he/she wants: Accuracy or looks. Personally, I'll take the first.

-- Mats

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
I have no opinions about Savage repeater rifles. They may be accurate and so, but they are as common as pink elephant in this frozen part of Europe. The name "Savage" is here connected with the little hammer shotgun-rifle combo. I had one and it was the worst rifle I ever owned. If I zeroed the sights on Saturday, I just had to expect to hit a yard beside the zeroed POI on Sunday. It was as accurate as a waterpipe loaded with beans. You could expect to hit everything but not the target. And the shotgun barrel also changed direction from time to another. I sold it - with a bad feeling of having done something unhonestly.

I will never take a Savage in the field for hunting since then. I hope that my bad experience have been a rare exception!

best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
I will never take a Savage in the field for hunting since then. I hope that my bad experience have been a rare exception!

best regards,

Fritz

Now Fritz, tell us what you really think. Not every gun can be a Sako :-)

Shoot safe,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont care if it is a ruger a savage a remington or what ever if you reload you can get it to shoot.and for that matter even if you try different factory loads.

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, the Lakefields are the epitome of a crappy rifle,that's for sure.A bunch worse than the old Cooey 22's that are leaning behind every barn/pumphouse/farmshop door in Canada.You know, the one's the Liberals won't admit even exist.I had a Savage 340 in 30-30 and the only way I could get it to shoot under 3" at 100 yards was to lift the scope off,slide a Rem 700 underneath,remount the scope and proceed to shoot.However I had another 340 in 222 that shot very well.Lots of variables here.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndaryexplosioneffect:

Now Fritz, tell us what you really think. Not every gun can be a Sako :-)

Shoot safe,
Mike

Mike,

there is a awful lot of good rifles, and maybe the Savage repeater is among them. But personally I prefer an old M98 or a Brno to more complicated constructions. The accuracy of them is good enough for me as the limits of ability of shooting at far distances are in me and not in the rifle.

Not every rifle is a SAKO, you say. And that�s pretty good as I don�t really like the newer ones. The stock shape and the to engineerd actions are the big minuses in my humble opinion, althougn they are skilfully made. But I don�t want to argue with them who like them, as such opinions are strongly matters of personal taste. "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder".

And one of my beloved rifles is indeed a SAKO: an old SAKO Mauser M98 with beautiful classic stock and nice metal work. And accurate enough: I can keep five bullets in a POI of 1 inch at 100 yards with a peepsight. I don�t need better.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
Mike,

And one of my beloved rifles is indeed a SAKO: an old SAKO Mauser M98 with beautiful classic stock and nice metal work. And accurate enough: I can keep five bullets in a POI of 1 inch at 100 yards with a peepsight. I don�t need better.

Best regards,

Fritz

I am with you there. I took my first deer with a 222 Sako in 1958. I have 2 or 3 all of that era and I pet them regularly. New style Sakos just don't have the appeal.

I got into building my own. Now everythings stainless and fiberglass and moly. Just not the same somehow :-(

Shoot safe,
Mike

<danev2>
posted
Wel I have my order in for a model 12 FVSS and when I get it, and get it all set up. and IF it shoots well, I expect that it well very well.
I will be posting plenty of field report and pics about the the stuff I nailed with it.

Watch out coyotes
Goodbye p'dogs

<bearlake>
posted
Danev2,
what cal. did you get your 12fvss in?

<steve+>
posted
Hi,all...brand new here. Thought I would jump right in.
I own a Savage 7mm Mag. bolt action w/synthetic stock. I won it on a raffle ticket. Best $2 I ever spent. Mounted a Leupold 3x9 scope and instant 1" groups at 100 yds w/Rem. factory extended range 165gr. loads. when they discontinued them,I switched to Win.Supreme Silvertip factory 150gr. Same 1" groups. 3-shots right at 2-1/2" high at 100 yds.
The rifle is much lighter and easier to carry all day than my previous Rem.760 in .30/06, Rem.700 in .30/06 or even my Sako L579 in .243.
Yeah,its ugly but it is as accurate as I can shoot off-hand,so I use it. And it was only $2! My wife said after I spent $300 on the scope that we couldn't afford for me to win anymore $2 rifles!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI
I LOVE SAVAGE, it is the gun that can shot well and cost low I have 3 savages at home one 340 in 3030 which is not a tack-driver but it gives good hunting accuracy and is verey well-balanced, a m24 combination which doesn't shot at the same POI with both barrels ,but it shoots great with rifle bbl and a savage 93 v(22 mag) which is a real tack driver.
BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
I had an over/under hammer gun in '72 and got the soiled feeling when I sold it to a sucker. My buddy has a 10FP,I believe in .308. It shoots like a house afire. And he is a terrible shot! We both were getting 3/4 in. groups with Nato spec milsurp ammo! These groups with a scope I don't care for.... something about Aetec on it. Isn't spelled Leupold. See? another subject for a new thread. Savage with Aetec on top. Like the surry with the fringe on top. Both cheaper than any of the guns and optics I own and shoot as well or better than mine. An ego problem? Maybe so. Just another gun snob I guess. Now if I can just purchase that M 99 in .358," I promise not to buy any more guns Honey!"

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA, Life NAHC

<Dan in Wa>
posted
This is getting to be an old thread but here my .02 worth.... Rugers can be good, but most are crap, I know. One good one in .25/06, POS IN .300Win., .257 Robts.. .22/250. Luck of the draw...I win more with REM. than I lose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, as the post is about Savages, I'll weigh in with two 99's (300 Savage and 38-55) and three 110's (250 Savage, two 7mm rem mag's). All extremely accurate, the only problem so far is a cracked stock on one of the 7mm's. Repaired that, and no other problems (and it had the cracked stock when I bought it, so it was very inexpensive, $200 Cdn, about $135 US). I would say that they are not the prettiest rifles (the 110's I mean, 99's are always pretty)but they shoot like a house afire. A good investment for the money. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Howitzer>
posted
Dan, What kind of loads do you run in your m99 300sav.? What speeds attained? And I agree that they are pretty(not just in looks but in handling too). I can't stand working the lever of a win94 in comparsion with the M99.

<bearlake>
posted
Would you guys say the savage blued finish is closer to a gloss or matt finish? Dull or shiney?

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I fall on the side of those that speak highly of the savage, and for the same reasons. Concerning their lack of pleasing looks, I had my barrel nut gold plated and encrusted in rare and exotic gems. Still shopping for a piece of english that will offer just the right touch. dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Hey dempsey, don't forget to only clean the bore with the most expensive Scotch you can buy - !

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howitzer, I'm working in London right now, so I'm away from my loading books and records. I'll put the loads up when I get home. Take care - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Howitzer>
posted
Dan, Thanks in advance.

<0369>
posted
I just had to respond to all of the Ruger-bashers out there. I can only speak for about a dozen or so rifles, but they all shoot great. My KM77VT in .243 will make little ragged holes all day long. The only limitation it has is the 3.5-10x Leupold tactical scope. I'm not saying Ruger never had a bad reputation, but this is just a Ford vs. Chevy argument. As far as the original topic goes the Savage bolt rifles are excellent rifles. They produce excellent accuracy, are of a design I'd want to be shooting in the event of the dreaded case rupture, and will embarrass the owners of many pricier rifles.

<green 788>
posted
The Savage rifles for the "Ghost Dancer" rifle project (see www.snipershide.com, then go to forums) were sent to a gunsmith recently for truing of the actions. He checked all four rifles (Savage 10FP's) and reported that all of the actions were square, and in no need of truing. These rifles had left the factory as such.

Savage uses different manufacturing techniques than the other big rifle makers, and thus can turn out superbly true actions for their excellent barrels.

My 10FP in .308 win shoots 1/4 MOA when I *don't* do my part. If I'm on my game, 1/8 MOA is the rule to 300 yards. She has also turned in some nice 2 to 2 1/2 inch 600 yard three shot groups during load testing.

Savage has redefined the accurate rifle. For years, folks believed that to get the kind of performance mentioned above they had to spend upwards of two grand on a custom rifle. That simply isn't the case. The only mods done to my rifle are a trigger job and some stock weighting. (The factory stock is pretty lacking, I'll grant you that).

I would say that the Savage 10FP delivers custom rifle accuracy for about a quarter of the price... I *would* say that, but I'd be lying just a bit. Because the average 10FP will actually *outperform* many custom rifles ... Hang around in some high power circles and you'll see what I'm talking about.

green 788

<danev2>
posted
Ditto Green.
My 12FV went to the smith for a trigger adjustment and action truing. I have a 2lb trigger zero creep and it left the factory with a straight and true action
My first loads were with 38 gr H380 and a 52 grSierra BT. <1/2" groups
Oh and I have a cheap BSA scope.

DV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savages are very accurate jack handles.

But they have no finesse or class.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage rifle that is very accurate. It will shoot sub MOA with factory loads. I guess I am also very fortunate. I have 3 Ruger revolvers and 2 Ruger rifles. Both rifles are extremely accurate for factory guns and all have taken their share of game. The revolvers are accurate and have taken thousands of hot rounds with nary a hickup. I can't complain about Savage or Ruger.

------------------
"If it ain't a 45/70, it's just a passing fad"

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote