New
Find
Notify
Tools

resizing belted brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone encountered the problem of the belt on magnum brass expanding slightly so as to cause friction or drag within Redding "S style" sizing dies and also in Lee Collet dies? Dealing with a 300 win mag.

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does your brass measure before and after firing?I had some work done some years ago and the chamber was way out of round so much the die was actually shaving the case quater of an inch above the belt.Called the dude and told him it was way out and he thought I was.I soon started doing my own and never had anymore problems.He had a serious problem with his setup

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Belted Magnum
Collet Resizing Die http://www.larrywillis.com/

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Larry is a great guy to deal with as well as a great product.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one of the Innovative Technologies dies and forget about oversize belted cases...works like a charm.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Larry Willis die. I have several 300 WM's and I found that a resized loaded round would chamber in one and not the other (at least not easily). In addition my Blaser seems to have a tight chamber and these rounds would not chamber in it at all. The Willis die solved all my problems. In addition, the same die will resize 300WM, 7mm RM and 375 H&H Mag brass! probably the best $70 or so that I have spent in a long time. Not sure how you are supposed to do it, but I resize in a regular sizing die first, then size it in the Willis die.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Belted Magnum
Collet Resizing Die http://www.larrywillis.com/

I have had one for years, needed it for the very first time 3-4 weeks ago (338WM), it worked as advertized.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seismicshooter:
Has anyone encountered the problem of the belt on magnum brass expanding slightly so as to cause friction or drag within Redding "S style" sizing dies and also in Lee Collet dies? Dealing with a 300 win mag.

The belt is not the problem, the belt is cut adjacent to the solid part of the web! .0003"-.0005" expansion is not going to cause difficulty in your die!
What's happening is that you're probably oversizing your brass and it has expanded and thinned above the belt. This is easily fixed by neck sizing only after the first firing, this allows the brass to 'settle'. Keep neck sizing until a round is hard to chamber, this may be 3 -5 firings of the same brass
Then adjust your FL die to size the brass to give you .002" 'shoulder bump', after that only neck size again, then when the rounds begin to chamber tightly again, bump the shoulder.

Belted brass NEEDS to headspace off the shoulder, the belt is merely 'cosmetic' on modern rounds, the only rounds that require the belt for proper functioning are the original H+H rounds!
Save your money, there's absolutely no need for any 'collet die'!

Cheers.
horse

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote