New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrinkled Shoulder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed my 22-250 shells were getting hard to chamber after being loaded about the third time. Obviously, the shoulder wasn't being pushed back even though I FLS. I screwed the die in another turn to the point that the press didn't cam over when the shell holder contacted the die, so I could put more pressure on it. When it did finally push the shoulder back, it pushed some of them so far that it wrinkled them. Is this something to be concerned about? Will it "shoot out" the next time I fire them? Will it affect accuracy? I have a neck size die, but the accuracy was good enough that I didn't see the need to neck size. Maybe I should. Let me know what ya'll think.

Posts: 30 | Location: E.TN | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you`ve pushed the shoulder back enough to distort them I`d be very leery of fireing them. There is a fine line between enough and too much headspace and you mave exceeded it.
The die should be set to touch the ram and add a 1/8-1/4 turn more. his should be more then enough set back, unless your expander is really tugging on the neck. If it is a touch of lube in the neck should cure it. I`d never add a full extra turn.
I personally would toss the brass and start over. Cases are cheap, rifles, fingers and eyes aren`t.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the case OAL? Sounds like the brass has stretched and the length probabvly exceeds maximum. This will cause the neck to push against the chamber and make for difficult chambering of round. Probably is not the shoulder. Check,a nd trim lenght back to recommended length.

I would not use the ones you have pushed the shoulder back on. Toss them.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I don't know what level you are at concerning reloading so I will start with the advice I would give someone who never reloaded at all...you seem to be somewhat beyond that but it is a good place to start anyway...

You need to review you loading manual again on how to reload and also the instructions that came with your dies on how to set up your sizing die.

Most of the time the best way to set up your sizer first off is to screw the sizer die down until the die contacts the shell holder hard...no break over. Then use just a little sizing lube. I quit using anything but Imperial sizing wax about 40 years ago, the rest were messy, sticky, hard to remove and I always used too much...the wax can be applied with your fingers, is easy to clean and even easier to learn how much to use...which isn't very much at all. You also need to clean the inside of your dies because sizing lube can build up on the inside shoulder and cause wrinkling even when the die is set properly.

A slight amount of wrinkling won't hurt and will shoot out but a large amount can be a sign your sizing die and rifle chamber are outside SAMMI specs and be an indication of excess headspace.

Remember that when you resize you are displacing brass...you are pushing metal around...the metal has to go somewhere so if there is more metal than can be pushed into the confines of the metals ductability range, it has to go somewhere and in the case of brass it collapses into the inside of the case...in other words...it wrinkles...on a small scale.

It sounds to me like you are new to reloading so find an experienced reloader, pop for the libation and pizza or a steak BBQ and have them help you out, or buy an 'intro to reloading' video...there are several around for sale at most online sporting shops like Midway, Cabelas, Lock, stock and barrel and Natchez. A video is much better than a million words and sometimes the opinions of all us "experts" can give you a headache or confuse the issue. There are many ways to solve the wrinkling problem and adjust your dies...I always give a link to 6mmBR...
http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html...
as this is the best site I've found to learn the "secrets" of reloading. There are many articles to read from the real experts in this field.

It is also better to stop what you are doing if something strange starts to happen and get an answer, rather than go on with the process. This will keep you out of trouble...anywhere from nothing more than a minor inconvinience to a wrecked rifle or worse. Safety first remember...there are more than enough things in everyday life that can get you ended without adding to the list.

It takes time to learn anything so take it slow, one step at a time and stop before the Yankees/Rebs??? getcha. coffee

'Njoy

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
rhyned,

From the information you have provided, I have a couple questions.

Are you crimping your bullets when you seat them?

Do you check your resized cases for "chamber fit" in your gun before reloading them?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
When it did finally push the shoulder back, it pushed some of them so far that it wrinkled them. Is this something to be concerned about?

Are you talking about a series on dents along the shoulder runing outward? If so those are normally from too much lube. Fire away.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
They're not crimped.
I do now.

I honestly used to think that if the shell holder was hitting the die, it wouldn't matter how far the die was screwed in (within reason). I've always kept the brass trimmed. The wrinkles aren't bad, and only on a small % of the cases. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Posts: 30 | Location: E.TN | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhyned:
Mike:
They're not crimped.
I do now.

I honestly used to think that if the shell holder was hitting the die, it wouldn't matter how far the die was screwed in (within reason). I've always kept the brass trimmed. The wrinkles aren't bad, and only on a small % of the cases. Thanks to all for the feedback.

I know that my questions may not make sense, but when you said that the cartridges were getting tighter in the chamber with each reloading, that can still be a couple of seperate causes. Overcrimping the neck can sometimes cause the shoulder to collapse and bulge slightly.

When adjusting my resizing die, I keep the rifle handy so I can check the case in the chamber till the bolt closes on the resized case with no resistance. I am adjusting the die by about a 1/8 turn at a time. You mentioned a full turn. That's more than I would adjust at one time.

Finally, if there is too much lube on the case, or the tiny air hole is clogged (it relieves air around the shoulder of the die) that can cause the dents. But they are usually more like a dimple.

Keep us posted and let us know what you find. Another suggestion, if you have a digital camera, take a pic of the case and post it.

Mike

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Lets see some pictures!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhyned:
I screwed the die in another turn to the point that the press didn't cam over when the shell holder contacted the die, so I could put more pressure on it.
quote:

All properly constructed dies will resize to minimum SAAMI specifications when set so as to force the ram to cam over center. Doing so will not only ensures there is no gap between the die body and shell holder, it also forces any slack out of the presses linkage assuring consistency. Anything less than that and the cases will only be partially F/L resized.

quote:
When it did finally push the shoulder back, it pushed some of them so far that it wrinkled them.

Your next $10 investment should be a case length gauge. Forster makes them and I suggest you get one. It will go a long way in keeping one out of trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd check the cases for proper length first, then make sure there's no crimp bulges. Finally, I'd also check neck thickness.

The neck can thicken over several firings and become too tight in the chamber. This is actually a dangerous situation since the bullet is held in the case too long and pressures can go up drastically.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote