New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra HP vs SP?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to figure out in what situation would I use Sierra Game King Soft Point BT vs the Hollow Point BT? Their web site does not give any info why I would want one verses the other. Im shooting 150's out of a 7x57 mauser sporter. The SP's shoot great, but the tips get deformed on rounds in the magazine if the rifle is fired. I would like to try the Hollow Points if I can expect the same results on deer. -thanks

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Contrary to popular belief, the HP is the harder bullet of the 2 GK (Sierra présents the HP as their "magnum" bullet). This being said, both SP and HP may be substituted over the same load and, as a bonus, they shoot to the same POI. It has become my regular practice in 7x64 (160 GK) and .30-06 (165 GK) when stalking or still hunting Roe deer in an area where I mighht run into Wild boar (I always carry a few HP's in a Pocket for such an occasion).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with André wholeheartedly.

I've played with Sierra's .243" 85 gr., .257" 120 gr. and .308" 165 gr. Game King HPBT's and their SPBT counterparts, with absolutely no difference including POI. Like André I use the exact same load with both SP's & HP's. I also prefer the HP's due to nose battering initially but with a Blaser R93 the crunched nose issue has vanished. Due to the bullet lengths I did have to establish a new C.O.A.L. with HP's vs. SP's though.

Sierra advises hunters that their HP Match Kings are not a game bullet and introduced the HP versions for those who insisted on using a target bullet on game. Apparently there are still some who despite this KSU offering continue to use the MK's on game due to their outstanding accuracy but WTFO? the GK's are super accurate.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've always used Sierra soft points in all my firearms. Your post has come two weeks after I shot a good red deer spiker with my 7mm08 at about 80m using Sierra 150gr GK bullets. I don't usually recover bullets but this one angled down a little from my shooting position on a bit of a plateau and went through the shoulder and stopped under the skin on the offside lower leg which was also shattered.

70% weight retention and the spiker piled up after a couple of staggers. The most tenderest and mildest red deer meat I have ever tasted, and I've eaten a bunch of venison.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the HP 165 in my 308. Most accurate bullet tested for that gun and performance is great.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote