New
Find
Notify
Tools

accubonds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been working on a load for my 300 win as some of you know. I keep gravitating back to the accubonds 180 and 200 respectively. I am going to northeast Montana to hunt deer in Nov. Both shoot equal in my rifle. I have been shooting the 200's lately that I bought as seconds. Which should I take? All comments welcome. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain,

A mate of mine tried the 200 Accubonds on a trip in western NSW. Worked great on fallow deer and 'roos.

For deer, I'd go with the 180's though.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180s are enough. Probably give a little higher velocity and better trajectory within 350yds where most shot are taken.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy and I use 180gr bullets for our 300WM for all big game in Alberta (moose/elk/whitetails and mulies/bears). We were using Partition Golds but have switched to the Accubonds in 2004. I dont think you need 200gr unless you are stickly hunting elk. I'd say take the 180s just for the extra velocity at a greater distance shot if required.

Right now I'm getting under 1/2" -5 shot groups at 100m with the 180s. I use RL 22, with Federal 215 Magnum primers. I have reloaded some 200gr but have yet to shoot them.

The closest I shot was in 2004 where I took a mulie buck at 44metres then 1 hour later I took a 8x7 whitetail at 554metres. Both were 1 shot kills-dropped on the spot. I'm sighted in at 3.5" high at 100m puts me dead-on-zero at 300yrds. These deer were taken with Winchester Supreme Accubonds CTs. I started reloading in 2005.

The ACCUBONDS are great bullets. I'm really inpressed with them in the 270WSM at 140gr. These have been knocking down some elk for my wife and I the past few seasons. Good bullet placement is more of a key I believe in the 270WSM than the 300WM, but good bullet placement should be taken all the time.

Good luck in your quest for a trophy mulie!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'd go with whatever shoots best, either is 'perfect.'

Me personally, give em hell, use the 200! I would. Throw what you can at the elk. Out to 300 yards I'm not sure the trajectory would be substantially different with only a 20 grain difference. That 200 has a nice BC too. Go with it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns