Notify
Tools

Rem BR Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted
Has anyone used this in a 308 Win? Remington BR Brass......good or bad

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean Remington benchrest quality brass or Remington Universal BR brass? All BR (6mm, 7mm, and 22 BR) brass was orginally made from Universal BR brass that you used forming dies to make your specific caliber. It was basically a .308 case with a small-primer pocket. Just keeping it straight around here. [Smile]
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
would it be worth switching from GM brass to BR brass?

[ 02-12-2003, 09:43: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
ABM - The Bench Rest brass referred to is the special short brass, made for R-P's "Bench Rest" series of cases like the 22, 6mm, 7mm and 308 BR. They're only about 1.520" long (at least my 7 BR stuff is), and won't work in a regular 308 Win.

For the 308 Win., the Federal Gold Medal Match stuff is pretty darn good, although I hear Lapua is supposed to be better. Never tried the Lapua stuff - the one time I was all hepped up to use it, MidSouth was sold out, and, I never did get any of it.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
If you stop over to www.benchrest.com they'll set you stright on what kind of brass to use. If it doesn't say Lapua, it's crap. At least in their eyes.

CAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Bush Man:
Has anyone used this in a 308 Win? Remington BR Brass......good or bad

I use mine for a 30x44 and 30x47. I don't think it would do well in a 308 since it has a small primer pocket. Some guy was trying to sell some on br.com and was asking $20. a box. I tink the br brass came out when Rem was trying to push the 6br as a br round. One of the problem with the 6br brass was that it had a large primer pocket. Randy Robinett from BIB bullets did well at the hunter nationals afew years ago using the BR case i think it was a 30x44. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"One of the problem with the 6br brass was that it had a large primer pocket."

I'm confused..... [Confused] The last 6 Rem BR brass I bought from Graf & Sons (Rem brand) about 7 years ago used small rifle primers. The 6 BR loads in my newest handloading manual (Hornady 5th Ed., copyright 2000) used Rem brass w/ a 7 1/2 (small rifle) primer. Has Rem since changed the specs? Gary T. [Smile]

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote