Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Info on Turret Presses...
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I'm about to set up my reloading bench and I've really enjoyed the last several nights in poring through these forums. My "ABC's of Reloading" and "Speer Manual" are due to arrive on Monday... so forgive me that I'm asking questions before I read through those.

It seems as if there are a lot of people that don't recommend turret presses. I will mostly be reloading for handguns for now. I shoot probably 400-500 rounds a week of 45ACP, 9mm, 38/357. I only rarely shoot my rifles and stick to .22 and 7.62x39 when I do. I can see myself getting into checking out the accuracy of pet rifle loads in the future, so more rifle play may be coming.

With that not-so-brief intro, do you think I should shy away from the turret? Why or why not? I'm not considering a full progressive yet until I get my feet wet.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 2 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of turbomark7
posted Hide Post
Do it right; do it once. Do yourself a favor - get a 550B. Wet feet, i.e. novice status, is a pervasive non-issue to reload with a Dillon 550B.

Temple of cornd0g

Posts: 2 | Location: Skid Row | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the issue is with people about turret presses. I have four of them set up right now on my reloading bench.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have user turrents for many years and if set up correctly will load better ammo than most of us can shoot.
I started out with the lyman tru-line jr.
Then picked up a t-mag , the last was a rcbs turrent and it is not any thing compared to the t-mags.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess to give a little more information... I'm a bit concerned that so many people claim they're not a stable platform and will move on you, causing inconsistency in the reloading process.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on the quantity I would get from a single-stage Rockchucker. I'm sure I'll enjoy the new hobby, but I can't afford to spend every free hour in the basement right now.

Posts: 2 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
I have a single stage Lee press, and I average about 30 rnds an hour with it. most of my time is used weighing out the charge on my RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I don't have a powder dispenser, and I don't reload the volume of rounds that you are shooting.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just obtained a Redding T-7 to reload 357 Mag. I shoot on the order of 50 rounds/day.I considered a Dillon but didn't want to spend the money but more than that I tend to experiment so I figured the fastest reloading setup for that would be turret press. I looked at Lyman and RCBS but they are not in the same league as the Redding turret. I suppose some day if I standardize a load the dillon may be handy.

As a suggestion, I did replace the spring on the dent ball which aligns the head to a much lower compression spring. With handgun loads alignment isn't as important as an issue and it is much easier to move from station to station.

At this point I think I made the right decision as I can turn out 50 rounds in ~20 minutes or so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a turret press or a progressive. Actualy a turret is very little faster than a single stage. If you want production get a progressive, like a 550 Dillon.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most progressives except the Dillon 650 can be used like a turret, one cartridge at a time, until you are confident in your process. The Hornady LNL AP has the same capabilities as the 650, while still being able to run turret-style, and at significantly less price. The 550 does not automatically advance the shell plate (auto-index), which has its advantages and disadvantages. It is easer to start on, but is not as easy once you get going fully progressive. The auto-indexing on Hornady and Dillon 650 can be disabled, but it is not something that can easily be switched on and off.

A good batch-style process on a single stage press can be just as fast as a turret, you just don't see the rounds popping out until the last stage is complete.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at presses this spring and after much research chose a Dillon 550. Now this is a loading MACHINE!!!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Redding T7 is the Rolls Royce of Turrets I have one and I'm glad I do.

I'm also getting good reports from some colleagues that the new LEE Classic Cast Turret is worth a look but is a four holer as opposed to the Reddings 7.

The LEE does have auto indexing which makes it more than a turret.

If you want to go the progressive route then the Hornady L-N-L progressive is the best for the money.

One of Us
Picture of WVHunter129
posted Hide Post
I am like you...a novice...I first started out with the LEE Anniversary kit with the single stage press. Then I upgraded some stuff. I upgraded my scale to a RCBS 5-0-5 scale...didn't care much for the LEE scale. Then this year I got a used LEE 3 Hole Turret press from a friend of mine. I have both the single stage and turret setup.

I have no complaints about the turret press. I have reloaded 357/38, 9mm, 380 and 30-06 with it.

Like an earlier post I spend most of my time on powder measurements.

I don't think you should have a problem with a turret press at all. Might as well get it now, cause if you get a single stage, you will later want the turret, that is one thing I know for sure.

WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Member National Rifle Association (NRA)

Posts: 25 | Location: Fayetteville, WV | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several turret presses: A Redding T-7 and a Lyman T-Mag. They are both excellent presses. I prefer the Redding because primers go down the shaft into a container. Primers in the T-Mag will bounce out of the cup and on to the floor.

I use these presses for sizing rifle ammo, and de priming rifle ammo. They work great, I have placed in the upper hundred High Power shooters in the US at Camp Perry a couple of times with ammunition sized on these presses. Scare stories about presses don't impress me that much. The people are measuring things that just don't appear on paper.

However for pistol ammo, I recommend a Dillion. I have a 550 that is twenty years old. The 650 and the square deal were later developments. If you are going to shoot massive amounts of hand gun ammo, get a progressive.