Notify
Tools

Tumbler Media
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello guys,

Currently I tumble dirty brass in one tumbler filled with wallnut shell to clean and then one filled with corncob to polish.

I would love to go to just one stage. WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU ALL HAVE WITH CERAMIC MEDIA ???

I reload everything from 22 hornett and 223 up to 45-70, 375 H&H, 458 win mag and 470 Nitro Express.

Any info greatly appreciated.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
Hello guys,

Currently I tumble dirty brass in one tumbler filled with wallnut shell to clean and then one filled with corncob to polish.

I would love to go to just one stage. WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU ALL HAVE WITH CERAMIC MEDIA ???

I reload everything from 22 hornett and 223 up to 45-70, 375 H&H, 458 win mag and 470 Nitro Express.

Any info greatly appreciated.

No experience, but I'm betting ceramic media will be too harsh on brass? That's why no experience.

You might try the Lyman walnut media coated with jewelers rouge. Comes in a big plastic pour can. Cleans and polishes. Works well for me. clap

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I haven't used it, but when I need meida I just go to the pet store. Buy a bag of the crushed walnut in the lizard section. From there add Lyman's media reactor and call it good.

I normally do a 2 stage process after tumbling, day one brass day 2 load. other wise I only tumble for about a few hours to all night.
I like to let them tumble while I sleep, they come out clean and shiny when I wake up.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple four hours in walnut shells. I think maybe I tossed some liquid car polish into the mix a while back.

They come out clean. We're not prepping for some General Inspection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to tumbling my brass in hot water and dishwasher detergent (Cascade)years ago. I use a RCBS Sidewinder but there are other tumbler options. Wash for about 30 min. Rinse after washing and air dry or in the oven at 170 degrees F for about a hour. Brass does not anneal under 200 degrees F.

No walnut or corn dust to get in sizing lube and sizing die and super squeaky clean. Washing is the best way to fly Cool

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
THANKS GUYS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote