New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM Reloads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many reloads should i get from the 270wsm brass?Is the 270wsm easy to reload?Any tips on reloading this round?What premium bullet is recomended in this fast round for big game like 400# bear or Hog?Nosler,swift,fail safe?I read where craig boddington harvested a huge sheep with it at long range,i think he used the accubond.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 WSM is just like other rimless bottenecked cartridges in terms of case life.

The one I have now has good headspace so its been easy to set the FL die and the webs do not thin at all.

As to neck life I really have not kept track of how many times that I have reloaded any particular case but I have never lost one to a neck failure.

The heaviest bullet that I have shot are 150's and with the long magazine and good throat that the Kimber has the bullet is not too long at all and there is plenty of powder capacity as well.

I am loading the 140 Accubond now and I would use it on black bear. If the game were 400 lbs then I might load a heavier premium bullet. The 270 WSM is a good cartridge and quite flexible.

Here is what one did to a whitetail when it hit still going 2900 fps.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Savage on the 140gr Accubond, it shoots superbly in a couple of 270 WSM's. Another buddy has had excellent results with TSX's on paper and on Deer and Hogs. I would start with one of these two bullets.
I've had best accuracy from RL-22 and Magpro though a little funny to work with is also worth trying. Next I'm going to try some Ramshot magnum.
The Winchester brass is probably the best strongest brass they make, mabay it's from new tooling or whatever. Using proper reloading technique the brass should last as longer or longer than other brass loaded to the same pressures.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pressure spike with MagPro and 140 BT's in the 270 WSM on a hot day this fall. The year before I had shot up a can of it and hunted with the 140/MagPro combo but I got the rifle in October that year and it was cool by then.

The new bottle did not have a lot number nor did the old one. I was using the maximum load last year and this year I was a half grain less and still the case stuck in the chamber.

I am staying with the 140 Accubond for any game and varmints up to medium size. This rifle is now ready and sighted in and for blowing nice holes in stuff. No more testing is necessary.

I will practice field postitions more with it now that the testing is finished.

Now when that new TSX comes out with the plastic meplat...........

The velocities were quite high from MagPro but I am snake bit with it. Ball powder and I never got along anyway and I have burned drums of it.

I am using RL 25 now in the 270 WSM and 140's and 3175 instrumental is about the top velocity. Accuracy is superb.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
My reload for my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM (Leupold VX3scope w/ BC reticle)are as follows:

140gr. Accubonds
71.0gr Retumbo (Compressed Load)
Federal 215 Magnum Primers
Winchester Brass(Brass and Nickel-plated from the Supreme ammo I shot previous)

Grouping under 1/2", with velocities just under 3200ft/sec.

The Accubonds performance on the elk, moose and deer shot has been phenominal.

This winter I want to try some Barnes TSX 140gr. for my 270WSM, to compare to the Accubonds.

I can't wait to try the new Winchester Sumpreme Elite "XP3" ammo. 150gr. for the 270WSM. Hopefully they will have these bullets out to reload with, in mid 2006.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Nosler accubonds, mag primers, max charge of RL22, win. brass, gets my kimber over 3200fps, with the fist two shots usually touching.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote