Find
Notify
Tools

.44 special loading???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
looking for .44 special pet loads... prefer lighter bullets.. 160's, 180's... pistol is a Lew Horton 3" smith 24.. thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get Ken Waters' Pet Loads; you will read it daily like I do. It all depends on how fast you want them to go. I use Unique, 6.5 grains. Very light load but the S&W can take far more than that.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry nothing near that light. But in the 240 area like Tom said Unigue,I've also used Herco and Red Dot.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Brian pierce has written some good work with the special. Mostly cast 250 but that is what makes a special most happy! Hand loader magazine I think is where it was.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting .44 Special for 40 yrs. now, I load nothing buy 200gr. RNFP bullets over 7.5gr. Unique. The Skeeter Skelton load, it is a great load in all my .44 Special revolvers.

Posts: 412 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got best accuracy with 6.5 Hercules Red Dot and a 240 grain cast lead SWC.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use 6 grains of unique and a 200 graincast for cowboy action shooting. Chronos 840 fps average out of 4 different ruger vaqueros. 1 set 4 5/8 barels and the other set 5 1/2 inch barels.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote