Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum velocity 338 180 Nosler BT
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Anyone have info on the minimum velocity to get useful expansion out of the Nosler 180 BT??

Wouldn't it be nice if any of the Bullet companies put any really useful info on their web site.

Imagine this a chart from smallest diameter and weight to the largest, BD, SD, Velocity range. Sure sounds hard to me. Can't imagine how the comapanies could ever do something like that!

LouisB

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra used to do something like that, but I don't know if they still do. I'm unaware of anybody else ever taking the time to make that info available. Part of the reason may be that some of these data points you seek are changlings depending on atmospheric conditions, and internal details of the gun and load. As to your question about min. velocity for BT expansion: I think you can count on reliable expansion down into the 1400-1600 fps range, perhaps lower. I'd not be the least surprised if BT would open up at subsonic velocities, but they build different kinds of BT's so your results may vary. .30 Cal and larger have a bit more meat in the jacket, to help with integrity.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler lists it in the 1500 fps range.

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyone have info on the minimum velocity to get useful expansion out of the Nosler 180 BT??

Wouldn't it be nice if any of the Bullet companies put any really useful info on their web site.

Imagine this a chart from smallest diameter and weight to the largest, BD, SD, Velocity range. Sure sounds hard to me. Can't imagine how the comapanies could ever do something like that!

LouisB

Hey TCLouis, Strange you should ask about a 180gr Nosler B-Tip. There just happens to be the very best bullet performance article I've ever seen made available to civilians at:

www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

This was originally in Handloader and you can still get a large poster directly from Mr. Sciuchetti for $15 which includes the shipping. Mine is in my Reloading Room and has a lot of information on it. Great conversation starter for visitors as they become mesmerized comparing their favorite bullet to the others.

Be sure to check out the good old 180gr RN Remington.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
1800 fps or so

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote